HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Broken condom with csw and Cialis

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Broken condom with csw and Cialis

Dear Mr HHH,

I am Polish 31 years old eterosex guy and I live in Zurich. I would like to share with you 1 sexual risk I had about 10 months ago. I was in a hotel where you can meet with csw and go with them in hotel rooms in Zurich.. I chose to go with a 24 Romanian girl. I found condom broken after vaginal sex. I ejaculated inside her and don t know when condom has broken. Vaginal sex last for 10 minutes.
Girl was very afraid for what happened and asked me if I am healthy, she promised me she is good and healthy girl. She really promised me.
I did one more mistake: I took 1 pill of Cialis 10 mg before the sex without really needing this.
As I don't have girlfriend, I never got HIV test and I thought I was not at high risk.

I did not have any health problem in meantime.

I want to ask you:
1 - Am I at significant HIV risk?
2 - Did cialis increase HIV transmission risk during vaginal sex?
3 - I did not have other risk after the episode - do you I need HIV test?

One friend of mine (but he is homosex) has been recently found HIV positive and as a consequence I started to worry a bit.

Really thank you for your forum and professionality.
Welcome to the forum.

It certainly can be alarming when a friend develops HIV. But of course your friend, having sex with men, was at 100 times higher risk than you.  In any case, obviously this doesn't change your risk.

You describe a low risk exposure.  Your partner's reaction to the broken condom is pretty good evidence she didn't have HIV.  Of course female sex workers are at much higher risk for infection from their clients than the other way around, and it sounds like your partner knows this and is careful to avoid infection.  But even if she were infected, the chance of catching HIV during any single episode of vaginal sex are quite low, probaby around 1 in 1,000 or lower.  Erectile drugs like Cialis don't make any difference.

Those comments answer questions 1 and 2.  Should you have an HIV test?  I would say yes, but not because there was any real risk, only for reassurance.  Most people nervous enough to ask questions on this forum probably are more reassured by negative testing than by anything I can say.  You'll probably continue to worry about it until you have been tested.

In summary, you should not be at all worried about the event 10 months ago.  If you decide to be tested, you can expect a negative result.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I am sure I was HIV negative because I tested before the accident I described you.
Noted; see above.  Take care and stay safe.
Maximum respect for your work and approach. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words.  Take care and stay safe.
Dear Doctor,

Could you quantify in your opinion my odds I have now HIV? Is it somewhat positive I never had symptoms/fever in these months?

I made reservation for a health check up at hospital on 6 Feb. I ll take care of controlling all parameters of my blood and all possible STDs.

I hope all will be good.

Sorry if I disturbed again.

I will update here my results.
Steffen.
I got blood hiv test in Public hospital.

Negative!!!
I will be very safe.
Not surprised by the negative result, but congratulations.