HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Can I trust the results

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Can I trust the results

Hi Dr,

I had a condom breakage about 3 months ago with a girl I meet a bar overseas, about a month later I had a really sore neck, was getting hot and cold flushes and had a sore throat, I also had a white coating on my tounge that is still here to this day. I had a test when I got back from holidays about 15 days after the exposure and that was negative I also had a test at around the 65 day mark and one just last week at 86-88 days, both where negative. I also had intercourse with a csw that was protected however there was blood on the condom and the bed sheets.

However since then I have had a really sore left rib cage and sore under my armpits and in the middle of my arm all on the left side. I am scared that the test are inaccurate and stressing out as I made a mistake once and since I got my results back I have had unprotected sex with my wife. I am scared I have infected her and can't live with that. Should I retest? Im in Australia so what test do they use? Can the test be wrong? Is gingivitis a sign of early HIV? Thanks guys
Welcome to the Forum.  My responses will be similar to those that you received on our Community site.  You did not get HIV from the exposure you mention and further testing is a waste of time and money.  

In Australia most testing for HIV is done using combination HIV p24 antigen/HIV antibody tests which are definitive at 4 weeks following exposure (tests that test for antibody alone are definitive at 8 weeks/56 days so either way, your test results are definitive and should be believed).

The symptoms you describe current, on the left side sound more like some other focal left sided process than a systemic illness.  Your doctor will need to help you sort that out.

Having taken doxycycline will not change your HIV test results (although it could be a contributor to your diarrhea).

And finally, no, gingivitis is not a sign of HIV.

I hope my comments are helpful to you.  It is time for you to stop worrying about HIV.  Further testing is not needed.  EWH
Another question sorry, if my doctor gave me doxycycline would this affect my results? He gave me some after my first test and some more today and I am thinking about getting a 98 day test done tomorrow?

Thanks inadvance.
I have also had the squirts for about 4 days and list 2kf in 2 days
Thanks Dr,

It's not just my left side, it comes and goes on my right side. I get sore lymph nodes under my armpits as well sometime. Would u recommend I test again?

Thanks again.
No, I repeat, further testing is a waste of time. It was Einstein who said "One definition of insanity ois to do the same thing again and again and expect a different outcome."  EWH
Hi Dr,

Today I woke up with a red dot in the middle of my whitish tounge. I hurts a little bit and I have a really sore throat.

Is this related at all to HIV? I'm freaking out as I still have sore arms in my armpits.
No, this is not HIV.   EWH
Hi doctor,

The pale younger I have is still there and it is actually burning now, I got another test on the 1st of Feb and that was negative.

Would it affect it if I had sex with my wife (unprotected) after my 10 week negative test?

Sorry to bring it up again its just my tongue that has me stressing.
Last answer.  YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV. Thus there is no reason for you to continue to ask, nor is there any reason for you to worry that you might transmit something to your wife related to these questions through unprotected intercourse.  EWH
Hi doctor, sorry to bring up an old thread but I went back to the doctors today as I just don't feel right, and my wife had come down with a bad stomach bug exactly 4 weeks after we had unprotected sex..

The doctor told me I have oral thrush and he is also worried about my nodes on my ribs, he has asked me to test again but only with a HIV antibodies test.

Sorry Dr I am just so scared that I have infected my wife and my test are false negatives.
Please see earlier comments. EWH