HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Concerns over giving oral sex

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Concerns over giving oral sex

I am a 49 year old married male. I often visit this site (read posts) for helpful information in regards to sexual activity. On Oct. 14 – I gave brief unprotected oral sex (less than 30 seconds) to another married male. Neither of us ejaculated in the mouth, we finished with mutual masturbation. I talked with him before engaging in these activities for about two months and he assured me that he was disease free including HIV.  I hope he is telling the truth. He did say he has played with one other guy, just mutual oral and mutual masturbation. I am disease free. It has been over two weeks since my last encounter. During that time I have had no symptoms i.e. no discharge, no sores, no urgency to urinate, no fever, no rash, no burning or painful urination. What concerns me is that I might have got some of his pre cum in my mouth.  If so it was very little. Also, he told me he was having kidney stone issues. That had me concern for the fear of tiny amounts of blood entering the urinary track. Before I engaged in this activity, I read that oral sex (receiving) carries little to no risk and (giving) is low risk. I hadn’t given it much thought until I recently read an article on another HIV site where a man insists he got HIV from giving oral sex. Now I am really worried and feel my anxiety getting the best of me. I just want to know if my activities were indeed safe in regards to HIV. Should I continue to worry? Is testing warranted?  Thanks.
Welcome back to the forum.

This question has similarities to the one you asked two years ago, and the answer is much the same.  Oral sex carries little or no risk for HIV transmission.  One estimate, from CDC, indicates an approximate risk of 1 in 20,000 for oral to penile transmission, and 1 in 10,000 for penile to oral.  Those figures are equivalent to receving BJs from infected partners once daily for 55 years, or giving BJs to infected men daily for 27 years, before transmission might be likely.  Oral exposure to scant amounts of blood would make little or no difference in these risks.

Finally, you describe a partner who is extremely unlikely to have HIV anyway -- so your actual risk from the events described are even lower than these figures.

"Should I continue to worry?"  Definitely not.  "Is testing warranted?"  On the basis of actual risk, definitely not.  However, you might find a negative HIV test result more reassuring than anything I can say based on probability and statistics.  If you do it, feel free to return to report the result.  But stay mellow in the meantime.  Assuming this is your only potential risk, you definitey can expect a negative result.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD