HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Condom broke during sex

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Condom broke during sex
I recently had a one night stand with a girl I randomly met. After having sex for a little while the condom broke. I noticed right away and only had my bare penis exposed in the vagina for about 2-3 seconds before I hauled out. She said she always makes sure to use condoms but I am still concerned. What are my chances of catching the HIV if she was infected? It hasn't been to long since the incident so I don't want to get tested yet. Please I need input from a professional.

I also answered this question on the STD site before I realized it was on this site as well.  If there are follow-up questions, please limit them to one site.  This site may be the correct one if your main worry if HIV

Although brief, you had unprotected vaginal sex.  Your risk of getting "usual" STDs like chlamydia or non-gonococcal urethritis is far higher than your risk of HIV so you should be evaluated.  Since she told you she was careful and most people tell the truth, I suspect there is little risk for nay STD, including HIV but getting testing is a good idea and will be reassuring to you.

1.  The risk for HIV from a single vaginal exposure to an infected partner (she was probably not HIV infected) is less than 1 infection per 1000 exposures, on average.  Your exposure was brief making your risk even lower.  A single HIV blood test will provide you with evidence that you did not get HIV from this exposure.  In the meantime, don't worry and please don't worry that every little sniffle and ache which occurs between now and testing is HIV, it will not be.
2.  If you are more than 2-3 days beyond your exposure, you can get tested now for gonorrhea, chlamydia and non-gonococcal urethritis which are your major concerns.  The tests will give you definitive information as to your status.

Hope this helps.  Take care.  EWH
Thank you very much sir for you're input. So are you saying that if you had unprotected sex 1000 times with an hiv positive partner, you'd only get the virus once?
Correct.  The chance of infection, on average, from vaginal sex is 1 out 1000, if the partner is infected. this is not a reason to presume that you should not practice condom protected sex however.  You never know when your number would come up.  EWH
A related discussion, nPEP required after condom broke was started.