HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Confused about results

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Confused about results

Hi, I would like some clarification. I got some in the community forum but I would like to get a doctors input and I thank you for your great help and knowledge. My exposure happened in April 2012 and I got tested for HIV 1/2 about a month later and it was negative. I was aware about the window period so I waited and got tested at 3 months and 6 months and it was negative. I went last weekend to do a regular std and HIV 1/2 test and my results were negative but on the paper it said that the test did not look for AIDS, so I started to second guess my results. My question is if he was infected with AIDS would I had contracted AIDS and not HIV and that's why it won't show in my results? It's almost a year since then, can I put this incident at rest and move one? Thank you!
Welcome to our Forum. I'll be glad to comment. The wording can be confusing.  AIDS is caused by the HIV virus and everyone who has AIDs has the HIV virus but not everyone who has the HIV virus has AIDS. This is because AIDS is a far advanced stage of HIV infection at which time the infection has progressed to the point at which the infected person's immune system cannot any longer prevent certain infections or other complications of immune deficiency from occurring.  The virus is what is passed from person to person and is what causes AIDS.  Virtually everyone who has HIV will progress to develop AIDS sooner or later if they are not treated for the infection. This progression can take ten or more years to occur from the stage of initial, early infection to AIDS.

I hope this is helpful.  Your test results conclusively show that the exposure you mention in April of 2012 did not give you HIV infection.  There is no risk to you of AIDS from the exposure you mention.  There is no need for further testing related to the exposure you have mentioned.

I hope this clarifies things.  EWH
Thank you so much doctor for further clarification. What that paper said was confusing and did cause me to get scared. I wish you the best. One last question I don't know if you can help, when I got tested last year it was 5 weeks and a  half, 3 days before the 6 weeks, can that be conclusive for a syphillis (syphilis) test?
While the 5.5 week result is not theoretically conclusive, given the rarity of syphilis and the fact that nearly everyone with syphilsi has a positve blood test sooner, I would not worry about syphilis.
Take care. EWH
Thank you once again, one last question and I promise this is the last question.  I got tested for herpes 2 (genital) 4 moths after the exposure and it was the igg test but it was a rapid test, it that conclusive? Since exposure twice already I have got the classic symptoms of a year infection but I will two small cuts but they go away within one day, is that herpes? From my understanding it's a blister that comes out and it can be painful and last about 2-4 weeks right?
Yeast infection*
Sorry for the typos, I will get like two small cuts in my inner labia that only last like one day
Thsi will be my final answer.  We do not recomend blood tests for HSV.  There is no evidence that you got herpes from the exposure you have descirbed.  EWH
Thank you