HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Constant nausea, dizziness, and stomach discomfort

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dr. I am experiencing the following symptoms for the 3rd day and they feel worse every day. I will briefly tell you my symptoms then I'll let you know on my exposures. I am experiencing;
- stomach pain/ discomfort
- extreme nausea, like I never before
- diziness
- light headness
- bad gas
-abdomen discomfort
- desire to throw up
- cold like symptoms
- ear itchiness
- alergies (allergies)
these symptoms are so bad that I can not stand for very long, or else I feel like I'm going to fall. I can't concentrate, cuz I've never felt this sick in my life. I can't even sleep because I feel really nauseous. I am afraid these could be ARS. Here are my exposures; gave my exboyfriend oral and swallowed his semed. He also pressed his penis against my anus on several occations, but no unprotected penetration. Since we dated he has not had anal sex with anyone besides me while in our past relationship. The only thing he. Has done is perform oral on another guy for less than a minute, this is all the sex thAt happened while we were broken up. And now j feel really scared that my symptoms might be do to HIV.  I also had a needle injury just recently. I feel really sick.

Welcome back to the Forum. In considering your question I have just reviewed some of your past interactions with me on this forum as well as some of your exchanges in the HIV Prevention Community.  I will answer your specific questions in just a moment but taking all of this into consideration I also want to suggest that you seem to worry an awful lot about HIV in a manner which may be out of proportion to your true risks. To that end, it might be helpful for you to discuss these concerns with a trained counselor who can help you to work through your concerns and anxieties about HIV.  Now let's go on to the specific concerns you bring up:

Your risk form the exposures you describe in this post are very, very low and HIV is not a concern.  The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  In your own situation, it is most unlikely that your BF has HIV and thus this makes the tiny, tiny risk related to oral sex even lower.  That he performed oral on another man does not put him at risk for HIV.

Your symptoms are suggestive of a viral illness of some sort or food poisoning but do not suggest the ARS or HIV in any way.  

Finally, we have discussed your needle injury in the past and established that it was not a concern.

There is no risk to you from any perspective from the exposures you describe.  Your illness does not suggest HIV.  I do not think you need to be concerned.  similarly, you do not need testing for HIV.  Hope this helps.  EWH

I've also been jogging, running, and smoking pot.
Dr.. Im sorry for coming back but I am still experiencing severe Dizziness, tiredness, nausea, headaches, that are not going away.
Nothing more to say.  This is not HIV.  There will be no further answers.  EWH