HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Doctor please answer

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doctor please answer

Hi Doctor,

I am a male aged 25 from India. 6 months back I had a high risk exposure with an Indian female in Mumbai of unknown HIV status. The exposure with the female included unprotected oral sex, unprotected vaginal sex, ingestion of high volumes of vaginal fluids that had not dried up and ingestion of high volumes of blood of the female that had not dried up. Please note I haven't had any other HIV contraction risk exposures post this one.
Exactly on the 180th day post exposure, I got tested for HIV in a private lab in Mumbai using a standard HIV antibody test for both HIV-I and HIV-II, which turned out to be negative.On the same day (i.e on the 180th day post exposure) I also got tested for Hepatitis-B virus and Hepatitis-C virus in a private hospital in Mumbai. The hospital conducted one screening test for Hepatitis-B virus that turned out to be negative and conducted another screening test for Hepatitis-C virus that also turned out to be negative.

1) If I was infected with both Hepatitis-B virus and HIV through the exposure that I mentioned above, will the window period for HIV testing extend beyond 90 days?
2) If I was infected with both Hepatitis-C virus and HIV through the exposure that I mentioned above, will the window period for HIV testing extend beyond 90 days?
3) If I was infected with all three - i.e HIV, Hepatitis-B virus and Hepatitis-C virus through the exposure that I mentioned above, will the window period for HIV testing extend beyond 90 days?
4) If I was infected with both Hepatitis-C virus and HIV through the exposure that I mentioned above, will the window period for testing for HCV extend beyond the normal window period for testing for Hepatitis-C virus?
5) If I was infected with both Hepatitis-B virus and HIV through the exposure that I mentioned above, will the window period for testing for HBV extend beyond the normal window period for testing for HBV?

Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help ease your concerns.

The tests you had all are extremely reliable, and test results always outrule exposure history and symptoms.  Your results prove you were not infected with HIV, HBV, or HCV during your exposure 6 months earlier.  The answer to all five of your questions is very simple:  none of these infections has any effect on the window period or any other aspects of the tests for the other infections.  All your test result are 100% reliable.

So do your best to stop worrying about this and move on with your life.  All is well.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you Doctor for your speedy and helpful response.

Can you also let me know the answers to these questions below:

1) What is the standard and globally accepted window period for HBV testing?
2) What is the standard and globally accepted window period for HCV testing?
3) If I was infected with all three - i.e HIV, Hepatitis-B virus and Hepatitis-C virus through the exposure that I had 6 months back, will the window period for HBV testing extend beyond the normal window period for HBV testing?
4) If I was infected with all three - i.e HIV, Hepatitis-B virus and Hepatitis-C virus through the exposure that I had 6 months back, will the window period for HCV testing extend beyond the normal window period for HCV testing?
5) Does prior infection of HBV before any high risk HIV exposure change the window period of 90 days for HIV testing for that particular high risk HIV exposure?
6) Does prior infection of HCV before any high risk HIV exposure change the window period of 90 days for HIV testing for that particular high risk HIV exposure?

I would really appreciate your responses to these questions.
Doctor,

1) In the Q5 posted immediately above, will your assesment about the window period for hiv testing of 90 days for the high risk HIV exposure change if the prior infection of HBV before the high risk HIV exposure was either acute HBV or Chronic HBV?
2) In the Q6 posted immediately above, will your assesment about the window period for hiv testing of 90 days for the high risk HIV exposure change if the prior infection of HCV before the high risk HIV exposure was either acute HCV or Chronic HCV?
Most of theses are repeats of the original questions with different wording.  You were tested well beyond the window periods for all 3 viruses, and I already replied that these infection do not change the window periods for any of the tests.

I have nothing more to say.  Do not overthink it:  you do not have HIV, HBV, or HCV and there is nothing you can think of that will change that fact, so please don't ask.  It's time for you to move on.