HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Dr, i just learnt that my close friend is HIV positve. What is my risk ...

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dr, i just learnt that my close friend is HIV positve. What is my risk i am extremely worried.

Dr. HHH,

My very close friend has tested positive for HIV recently. We used to be very very close, so i used to share the same soda(drink) from the same straw with her. meaning i used to share and consume her saliva. I did that lot of times, may be ten times until now. We used to drink from the same glass, that is how close we are,sharing the drink. Do i need to worry about getting HIV from this incident?

Please answer.
They call HIV an STD because you have to have sex to transmit it.  Or direct blood exposure, such as by injection drug  use.  People who live in the same households of HIV infected people, sharing bathrooms, eating utensils, and the like, day in and day out, never get HIV.  Everybody knows these things and so should you.

You are not at risk.  Your HIV infected friend needs your friendship and support, not your withdrawal for fear of infection.  If she has a wound and bleeds, and you are the cleaner-upper, wear gloves and wash your hands.  Otherwise don't worry about it.  There simply is no chance.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Dr. HHH,
   Thanks for your time. Your answer reliefs me a lot. I never had any sex or anything other than my wife. I was terribly worried because my close friend tested HIV positive, plus i used to share her saliva all the time, by drinking alcohol from the same glass, alcohol from the same glass, some times from the same saliva. I understand my friend needs a lot of support. I will do my best and be there for her.

Thank You.
Dr. HHH
  Thanks for your answer. I told you that my close friend has tested HIV positive recently.

I used to drink right after she drinks from the same glass. Some times i used to drink from the same straw also, and i used to drink right after she drinks.

We are very very close, that is why i share drinks and food with her.

I am a straight person, never had any sex outside my marriage.

Do i need to worry about this? I am going paraniod. Please help.
Huh?  Did you think that somehow my answer would change if you asked the same question with different wording?

You clearly state the only significant health problem here ("I am going paranoid").  Let this go.  Worry about things that have a higher chance of harming you, like being hit by lightning.

I won't have any further comments.
Dr. HHH,
    I do apologize, i never thought i changed my wording. Since i am so much worried, i wanted to make sure that i explain my self clearly.
    The only thing i tried to make sure between my first question and the second question is that
i wanted to clearly tell you that i used to drink from the same straw/glass immediately after my HIV positive friend had drinked from the same straw/glass, meaning there was no time lag. It happened couple of times. So clearly i was exposed to the fresh saliva of my HIV positive friend.
That is the clarification i wanted from you. I dont need to worry about this right Doc? I will be there for my friend, i like to help people. Thank You.
He knew what you were asking. It doesn't matter. There just isn't enough virus in saliva to make transmission possible, no matter how fresh. No one ever got HIV from sharing a drink with anyone. You're fine.
This thread is over.
I told you this thread is over.  One more inappropriate, anxiety-driven comment and I will delete the entire thread.