HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Dr HHH Clarification please?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dr HHH Clarification please?

Was reading (and learning) from the recent posts of others,mans came across a troubling statement from Dr. HHH concerning new (unreleased) research on a longer window period for oral tests:

"Nothing dramatic.  Just that the oral fluids tests (especially the home self test) are new and clinics and other providers are still learning.  Very recent research -- not yet published -- indicates slower seroconversion (longer window period) with the oral fluids tests."

Can you please add more detail to this statement?  Does this mean that those of us reliant upon "conclusive" oral results may be affected by this new research?

I'll not as further questions once this has been explained.

Thank you.

This is a duplicative, unnecessary question.  The statement you cite is only pertinent to early HIV testing, i.e. before ~6 weeks after exposure.  After 6-8 weeks there is no difference in reliability between the oral fluids tests and other tests for HIV.  I agree 100% with the advice you had form Dr. Hook.

I would advise you to accept his advice and stop searching either this forum or the web. Anxious people tend to be drawn selectively to information that inflames their fears and to not focus on the reassuring parts.  This appears to apply to you and I suggest you stop.

HHH, MD
I thank you for the response.  

You hit the nail on the head with the anxiety observation.

In my defense though, I simply CANNOT afford to assume I am 100% clear of HIV until I am actually 100% clear of HIV.

I am married, and have three young children, and am fearful of infecting my wife... Especially since I am running out of excuses to avoid intimacy.

If there is ANY chance I am infected (even the smallest), I feel I need to be "out in front of it" and take steps to protect my family.

(Which I should have done by not getting into this situation in the first place)

I know this service is not designed to be an anxiety treatment site.  I, like most that come here I suppose, find reassurance in your consistent expertise - and when we over analyze a statement like the one in question, it allows for the doubt and fear to resurface.

I thank you for your time, and your explanation.

You are 100% clear, which has been obvious for some time now.  Do your best to move on.