HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Dumb move

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dumb move

9/28/12 did a dumb (drunk) move and had unprotected sex with a woman - while having sex she had her period and I was unaware of this; got her blood on my pubic region - I did not ejaculate in her.  Six days after exposure, I had a blood blister pimple on the based of my shaft just before the pubic region and  9 days post exposure I had a orange rash in my pubic region spreading up to my beltline.  11 days post exposure I went to my family doc - he gave me a creme for what he called a wart, a creme for the rash, put me on 500mg cephalixin 4x/day/10 days and send me for std panel.  Std panel came back negative except HSV 1 - already had but not recently exposed and HIV test was an AB - negative proving I did not have previously.  13 days post exposure I was tingly all over and have hot flashes - for about 3 days and then I had night sweats and loose stools every morning.  19 days post exposure I had an HIV RNA PCR Early detection test - negative. 20 days post exposure, the female involved took an ELISA test - came back non-reactive.  Around this time my lymph nodes in groin, armpits and behind knees began to be sore and I realized I have lost about 18 lbs since this all started.  25 days post exposure I had following panels; liver, cbc, mono panel and hep panel  - all came back negative or in normal range (CBC).  30 days post exposure I took a DNA PCR w/ AB 1/0/2 qualitative, hep b and c pcr and urinalysis - all negative. 43 days post exposure - issues are: white tongue (not thrush but geographic - as diagnosed by ENT - started Micostanton), still have rolling lower abdominal each night and burning (forgot I did have a cat scan done at 25 days and all clear except thickening of small intestine wall, rash around belt line still comes and goes and will extend towards belly button - particularly when i tighten my belt, sore/tingling under arm pits and behind knees.  

Do you think it's all nerves or should I keep testing to 13 weeks or even 6 months?
Welcome to the Forum. It's clear from your post that this exposure has you profoundly concerned- your weight loss, repeated testing, and remarkably detailed history of genital rashes/lesions/etc. combine to provide this impression.  I hope that I can help you to move forward.

The exposure you describe was low risk. Few heterosexual women have HIV and even when partners are infected, transmission occurs, on average, only about 1/10th of 1% of the time (1 infection/1000 exposures to an infected partner).  Further, your partner had a negative test at a time when if she had HIV and was infectious at the time of your encounter, the test would have been positive, and you cannot get HIV form someone who does not have it. Finally, your multiple tests, when considered as a whole, absolutely rule out the possibility that you were infected through this encounter.  

You do not need further testing and there is no need to worry further about the possibility of HIV (or other STD) from the encounter you describe.  EWH
I also took a p24 antigen antibody test at 43 days and it was negative as well as an additional rna pcr test that I am awaiting results on
Thanks dr I did realize that I left out one bad item when shortening original post to 2000 words - again as I was drunk she did put my penis in her rectum after she began to bleed - I did not realize it.

Also what are possibilities of the blister and rash, finally if I was to be an elite controller, could I still show symptoms but no viral load?

I am a nervous wreck and getting GI testing done to look at my stomach and intestines

Thanks so much,
Marc
I apologize her test was at 14 days not 20
Thanks for the clarification but your test results trump all other information as they clearly prove that you did not get HIV from this encounter.  No change in my opinion or advice.  You are clear.  EWH
Got pcr rna test back it is negative
Only remaining concerns I have are why do certain websites say test after 13 weeks and or 6 mos and I still have stinging or tingling in armpit and Brest lymph nodes and stiff lower back - could that b nerves?
Your symptoms could well be due to anxiety on your part.

We do not debate other labs or web sites.  Some sites base their answers on older, out of data or take more conservative stances because the believe they "cannot afford" to be wrong, causing them to adopt what we consider to be an overly conservative approach.  EWH
So I am 100% in the clear based on my tests
Repetitive question.  REpeating your question does not change my answer. See above. EWH
Sorry this just has me crazy it was not like me and I am very, very concerned and ultimately just want to return to normal
Does it matter she only had an EIA test at 14 days?
Last answer.

Her results assure that you were not exposed.

This thread is now over.  EWH