HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Erotic Massage Spa "Worried" Please Help

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Ok so here it is, My foolish mistake.

I went to I guess you could call it an upscale Erotic massage spa. I call it upscale because the prices are high and the rooms are immaculate. Everything is spotless and you are required to shower before and after. There is also an alcohol spray you are to use after.

The women there are all very attractive and clean to the naked eye.

I received a massage from this one 22 year old girl that had a Ukraine accent. So im guessing she is relatively new to the contry “possibly”

Anyways she massaged me then I massaged her. Both nude. Then she proceeded to get on top of me and offer me a body slide. There was no condom involved. She had been masturbating prior to the body slide so im sure she was “wet” also mixed in with some oil.

Now she began to grind her vagina on my penis. There was no deep penetration however the tip of my penis did rub against her vaginal opening several times.

Probably lasting a total of 2-3 mins. Following that she gave me a hand-job and I released.

Due to panic I took the alcohol spray for disinfecting and sprayed my penis. Now this burned like crazy until I jumped in the shower at the spa and cleaned off thoroughly. I then cleaned again when I got home.

There is one section of my penis just under the head which has a very small burn/tingle feeling. I am hoping this is from using the disinfectant spay.

With all that being said, what are my risks at HIV/STD/STI infection? I understand girls in that profession have a lot of men and now I am feeling very bad for going.

Please help Dr. I need advice.

Many Thanks,

From genital apposition without penetration ("grinding"), there probably is some small risk for herpes, HPV, or syphilis.  Among women having sex with women, there is risk for bacterial vaginosis and perhaps trichomonas or other vaginal infections.  There is no measurable risk for HIV, chlamydia, or gonorrhea.  Despite the theoretical risk, in 30+ years in the STD business, I have never an STD/HIV case acquired this way.

If you do not have STD symptoms (principally discharge of mucus or pus from the penis, genital blisters or sores), and do not develop such symptoms within 10-14 days, you can consider yourself home free.  The vague penile burning/tingling you describe doesn't sound significant or worrisome.

If you want lab testing for still further security, you could be tested any time for gonorrhea or chlamydia (the tests are valid within a couple days of being infected) and could have blood tests for syphilis and HIV about 6 weeks after the event.  I recommend against testing for HSV in this situation, and there is no test for HPV -- and you've probably already had HPV anyway (multiple times).

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
-5 Comments
Thank you Dr.

I made a stupid mistake and was not thinking with logical brain.

I trust your expertise.

How is it that girls in this profession stay healthy for years? with multiple partners and contact. that makes me think.

Again thank you for the advice.
On average, many commercial sex workers have higher STD rates than many other women.  It is very easy to be a CSW for several decades and be at almost no risk of HIV, for example, and lots of them know how to do it.  For example, if your massage partner limits herself to men like you -- obviously at low risk -- then that's a big help.  Routine condom use is highly protected.  Frequent check-ups with early treatment of new infections.  And so on.  
A related discussion, Worried after massage was started.