HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Fear of HIV exposue

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Fear of HIV exposue

Dear Dr,

On Nov, 18th I went to a stripclub expecting to receive a lap dance.  I suffer from premture ejaculation so prior to entering the club I placed a condom on (embarressment of early ejacuation).  I walked in and immediately accepted a private dance.  Almost immediately the girl started playing with my zipper trying to unbutton my pants.  After several attempts to stop her she unzipped it and hopped on me.  I am not telling you this to shift the blame as I accept ultimate responsibility for my actions but merely to give sequence of events. She rode me for a brief period, 1 minute maybe and i ejaculated at which time she got off. I do not know her hiv status but i am assuming she has sexua relation with many customers.  I did not remove the condom for a while until after i drove home.  When I removed he condom it was only covering about 1/2 my penis.  My concerns are based on symptoms I have experienced over the pas 2 weeks:  Roughly 2 weeks post exposure i got a bright red rash on my chest, arms, and back  I had a slight sore throat but no fever.  I felt a little malaise but was still able to exercise somewhat vigourusly.  This stayed for about a week and then subsided.  After a week of feeling good I started to feel nauseas with a tight chest andswollen lmph nodes in neck and groin area. No fever at this time either. This recent episode has been for 4 days.  Do these symptoms suggest possible ARS and do you recomend testing?
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

First, you can't catch HIV from a lap dance.  Second, the virus also isn't transmitted by genital apposition without penetration; unless a bare penis (no condom) enters another person's vagina, rectum or (rarely) mouth, there is no HIV risk. Third, you had a condom on -- which of course also prevents HIV transmission.  Fourth, it is statistically unlikely your lap dance partner had HIV.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of a new HIV infection.  The sequence of symptoms and absence of fever argue strongly against it -- and self-assessment of inflamed lymph nodes usually is wrong.  Of course, if your symptoms persist or you remain concerned, you should visit your primary care doctor or other clinic.

Should you have an HIV test?  From a risk assessment standpoint, or on account of your symptoms, the answer is no.  However, you should do it anyway, for the reassurance value.  I'm pretty certain my advice, by itself, won't make all your worries go away; a negative HIV test will probably be more effective than anything I can say.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I tried to be as thorough as possible but forgot to add that I received a second lap dance with "clothes on" while the condom was still on my penis.  My question is regarding transmission of blood/vaginal fluids through condom while the girl pressed her body against my lap during the second dance.  I am highly concerned with Hep C and if this is a possible route for exposure.  I tested earlir in the year for Hep B where I had antibodies present so I am confident that the vaccine is working and HIV/Hep C which were negative.  This is my only sexual exposure since then except for a handjob.  The past week I have been experiencing extremely dry tongue, red throat, lower back pain, right side abdominal pain, and swollen lymph node only on left inner thigh (gets worse after masterbation (masturbation)).  I also have not had any appetite and have bouts of nausea that come and go throughout day.  Would you recommend Hep C testing from this exposure?  I took a home Oraquik rapid HIV test at 48 days which was negative.
Contrary to popular belief, hepatitis C is not an STD.  The risk of infection is not elevated in people who have many years of unprotected sex with infected persons.  And even if there were a potential for sexual transmission, for sure the virus cannot be transmitted through clothing.  This is nothing to worry about and you don't need hep C testing on account of the events described.