HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Fingering and licking finger with menstrual blood and ulcer concern

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi Doctors

Like many I had a visit to a strip club about 6 months ago. The whole experience was a bit hazy but this what I remember and my resulting concerns.

I had a "lap dance" in a VIP area of the club. During the dance I rubbed her vagina (on the outside at first) then licked my finger to add a bit of lubrication and then inserted my finger a little deeper into her vagina. If i recall correctly I then licked the finger (stupidly) again. Although I don't remember tasting blood, I do remember seeing signs of dried blood around my nails later that evening which would imply there was some around (possibly menstrual). Other then that at the time I had a mouth ulcer (small with white covering) inside my bottom lip and a history of bleeding gums (although to be honest not at the time, i don't think!). Also I had some small tears around my finger nails which reading on your site i understand to be of little concern.

Now here are my questions
1. Is there any worry of the vaginal fluids / blood from her vagina being passed to my mouth from my finger, coming into contact with my ulcer / bleeding gums when I licked the finger and passing on the HIV virus?
2. Does the ulcer / bleeding gums increase the chances
3. Could the small tears near my finger nails give me a chance of being the first person in history to become infected by fingering considering there was some blood around! (I think i know the answer to this one)
4. Also I forgot - there was a brief French kiss. If she had some blood in her mouth form licking her own fingers could there be a possibilty of being infected this way.

I am aware of many similar situations but wanted to ask you about my specific case as the anxiety is really taking it's toll on me, my work and relationship.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question. The bottom line is that, just as in all the "similar situations" you have described, you are at no risk for HIV from the non-exposure strip club events you have described.  HIV is never sexually transmitted without a bare penis (no condom) inside another person's vagina, rectum or (very rarely) mouth.  The details of your particular event don't make any difference in that basic fact.  To your specific questions:

1) No.  The amount of virus that can be transmitted by these fairly indirect contacts is too low for transmission.  Nobody has been known to be infected through such exposures and you won't be the first.

2,3) Theoretically, these things may increase the risk. But realistically, it apparently makes no difference since nobody has been known to catch HIV by such exposures.

4) HIV has never been transmitted by kissing (French or otherwise), as far as we know.  Among other things, saliva kills HIV -- which is why exposure to saliva is risk free, and swallowing HIV infected blood or body fluids is very low risk, if any.

On top of all that, it is statistically unlikely the stripper had HIV anyway.  You don't need HIV testing on account of these events, and you can safely continue unprotected sex with your regular partner, if you have one, without putting her (or him) at risk of HIV or other STDs.

Really, mellow out.  This was truly a zero risk event.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Hi again doc and thanks for the quick response!

That has put my mind at rest. Talking of minds it's amazing how the mind can sometimes run away with you. Such an minor event suddenly becomes this huge incident with so many variables even though I knew deep down I was getting carried away!

Right I'm off to have a good unwinding run/cycle/swim. And get on with my life!

Thanks again

R
Also you are in Seattle right? Which would make it a Sunday afternoon. Thanks for using your Sunday to read my question and answer it for me.
r
Well, I travel a lot -- and am currently several time zones from Seattle.  But thanks for the thanks!
One last thing. Could I ask you this question too? (I did also post this on another forum in case you think i'm trying to get multiple answers ie a serial poster!). It follows on from my incident...

I think there was an instant (racking my brain which i know i shouldn't do) when she kinda pushed her vagina into my face and i may have had a cheeky little lick or two before she realised what i was up to and backed away. Now i'm assuming this hold not risk? Would i be right in saying this.

Then i'm going away - I promise!!!

Take it easy

R
Nope, no risk.
Thanks Doctor Handsfield

take care

Rick
Hi doc

I'm off to get tested tomorrow morning because I just can't take it any more. I flew over to England from aus today (about 23 hours ) and could not stop thinking about me being positive.
I remembered that about 8-10 weeks after my incident I was away with friends and had the worst weekend of runny tummy, night fever and very sore throat. Can't help thinking its all related. What are your thoughts on this

Rick
Done - I'm sure you will laugh but just spent £130 on a hiv test for Sunday clinic.
Result: Negative...
...As you said

Thanks again and hopefully you will never here from me again (in the nicest possible way!)

R
No comment.  As you suggest yourself, it's time to move on.