HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Foreskin and Precum -- HIV risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Foreskin and Precum -- HIV risk

Dear Doctors:

On Sunday afternoon, I met up with a stranger on the internet.  He assured me that he is hiv neg and sti free.  His last test was three to four months ago, and he said he did not engage in any sexual relations since then.  My most recent test was a month ago.  I am uncircumsized.

Anyways, he performed oral sex on me without a condom, I licked his scrotum.  I understand that the risk of insertive oral sex is very low.  What I am very very worried about is that a drop or two of his precum actually landed on my erect penis near the glans (glands) and on the pulled back foreskin.  I didn't wash it right away, instead I jerked off, and alot of my own ejacuate got coated around my penis.  I took a hot shower after that, but didn't want to use his soap.  An hour later, I washed my penis and foreskin with soap in my own washroom.

I understand that precum contains the hiv virus, I understand that the foreskin has special cells are that receptors to hiv.   I am very very worried about his precum dripping on the pulled back portion of my foreskin.  Could you please let me know your opinion on my risk of hiv transmission.  I am still within the 72 hours PEP period, should I go on PEP?

I am very scared right now and it is affecting my work.  Please let me know.  Thank you so much in advance.
Welcome to our Forum.  The activities you engaged in, receptive oral sex and mutual masturbation are very, very low risk for HIV IF your partner was infected and it is unlikely that he was.  He told you he was not and most people really do tell the truth.  Even if he was infected, the exposure you describe is vitually no risk.

No one has EVER gotten infected through mutual masturbation, uncircumcised or not.  You will not.

As for oral sex, the quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.

If you came to me for care I would not recommend (or provide) PEP.  The choice of whether to seek PEP or not is a personal decision but in your case the potential side effects of the drugs out weight your risk of HIV. I hope my comments are helpful to you.  EWH
Dear Dr. Hook,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I think I was just so worried because I was equating the other person's precum landing on my foreskin with unprotected anal sex without ejaculation because the foreskin is such a special area that is essentially hiv-welcoming.

I am reading from your response that this is not the case, and that even though the foreskin has cells that bind with hiv, contact with potentially infected precum will not lead to hiv transmission?

Thank you again,

Xan
You have read my response correctly,  No risk. Take care.  EWH
A related discussion, Precum HIV Transmission was started.