HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
General Informative ARS question

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

General Informative ARS question
Hello Doctor

I have few questions regarding ARS symptoms.
According to your knowledge and from the documented cases
1-Does fever always accompany true ARS symptoms?

2-When true ARS symptoms occur, are they persistent for quite sometime or they just appear and quickly disappear. For example an sore throat through the night and disappears in the morning, is it a sign of an ARS onset? Or if a redness of a skin appears for half an hour then disappears, is that sign?

3-I read that true night sweat and HIV related oral thrush usually occur in an advance HIV infection and they do not usually manifest in symptoms related to a recent one. Is that true in your opinion?

4-How common are the onset of ARS symptoms past 4 weeks after exposure?

5-Last I know swollen lymph nodes are hard to detect by an untrained person without medical experience, if they were swollen due to an ARS are they usually tender to the touch?

Thank you always for your excellent support
Straight to the questions:

1) According to most reports, fever is present about 90%  of the time.  2) Symptoms last at least a week, usually longer, and are not on-and-off in the way you describe.  3) That probalby is true for oral thrush, but not for ARS.  Night sweats occur because a fever breaks during the night; that is, anything that causes fever can cause night sweats.  4) Four weeks is too late.  I can't say symptoms never occur that late, but it is rare.  5) HIV lymphadenopathy usually is nontender, or only very mildly so.

Best wishes-- HHH, MD
Doc, how early can ARS symptoms start?
It's my understanding that symptoms show up 2/4 weeks after exposure. They also are never alone usually more than one with fever.