HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV 2 Concern
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIV 2 Concern

Hi Doctors, please help me I have been driving my self crazy for almost 2 years. My possible exposure was in  June 2011 in my home town Croatia Europe. I've known this guy for couple of years but I don't know much about his sex life, I made a mistake and had unprotected vaginal sex with him June 19th, 25th and 27th 2011  total of 5-6 times all unprotected. When I got back to California I freaked out and went to go get tested for STD including HIV 1 test they used was uni gold. This was all done 3 months after my last exposure with him
And everything was negative except chlamadiya. I was still freaked out that my HIV test wasn't conclusive so I did another HIV test at 9 month after my last exposure with him and the result  still negative, I was still scared about HIV so I did my last test a week ago which is 18 months since our last exposure and  the result was  still negative. Now when I taught i can put this behind I started freaking about HIV 2. My partner was  white, not gay, not bisexual , what are my chances of having hiv 2? Should I go back to the clinic and request an HIV 2 test? Lady at the clinic said they only test for HIV 1 not HIV 2 because HIV 2 is not common.To be honest I don't even know why I'm freaking out about hiv 2
Thank you in advance
239123 tn?1267651214
Welcome to the forum.

You need not worry at all about HIV-2.  Perhaps most important, the modern lab-based HIV antibody tests detect all infections with HIV-2.  If you have only had rapid tests, some of which only test for HIV-1, you could have another test to confirm it.

Equally important, as you imply yourself, HIV-2 is very rare outside the parts of east Africa where it first evolved and pretty much remains.  The chance a white, heterosexual partnerin Europe or North America would have HIV-2 is zero for practical purposes.

So my advice is to simply stop worrying about it.  There is virtually no chance you were exposed to HIV-2 or that you have it.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
2 Comments
Blank
thank you so so much for a very fast response, you guys are amazing.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123 tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now