HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV 2 Concern

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV 2 Concern

Hi Doctors, please help me I have been driving my self crazy for almost 2 years. My possible exposure was in  June 2011 in my home town Croatia Europe. I've known this guy for couple of years but I don't know much about his sex life, I made a mistake and had unprotected vaginal sex with him June 19th, 25th and 27th 2011  total of 5-6 times all unprotected. When I got back to California I freaked out and went to go get tested for STD including HIV 1 test they used was uni gold. This was all done 3 months after my last exposure with him
And everything was negative except chlamadiya. I was still freaked out that my HIV test wasn't conclusive so I did another HIV test at 9 month after my last exposure with him and the result  still negative, I was still scared about HIV so I did my last test a week ago which is 18 months since our last exposure and  the result was  still negative. Now when I taught i can put this behind I started freaking about HIV 2. My partner was  white, not gay, not bisexual , what are my chances of having hiv 2? Should I go back to the clinic and request an HIV 2 test? Lady at the clinic said they only test for HIV 1 not HIV 2 because HIV 2 is not common.To be honest I don't even know why I'm freaking out about hiv 2
Thank you in advance
Welcome to the forum.

You need not worry at all about HIV-2.  Perhaps most important, the modern lab-based HIV antibody tests detect all infections with HIV-2.  If you have only had rapid tests, some of which only test for HIV-1, you could have another test to confirm it.

Equally important, as you imply yourself, HIV-2 is very rare outside the parts of east Africa where it first evolved and pretty much remains.  The chance a white, heterosexual partnerin Europe or North America would have HIV-2 is zero for practical purposes.

So my advice is to simply stop worrying about it.  There is virtually no chance you were exposed to HIV-2 or that you have it.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
thank you so so much for a very fast response, you guys are amazing.