HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV CONCERN

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV CONCERN

Good morning Doctor, and thank you very much for your valuable help,

42 days ago I engaged in deep French kissing with an unknown guy I had met that same day in the Tube. It was a long kiss (1-2 minutes), and I realised I had cold sores in that moment. I also suffer from bleeding gums, specially when I brush my teeth. We also mutually masturbate and kissed and play with our nipples. Then he told me he was HIV+, and I stopped immediately.

I know that it is said that kissing is a free HIV risk activity, but I wonder what would happen if he suffered, too, from bleeding gums, and actively bled in that moment.

15 days after this event, I went to a Doctor who told me that there was a rapid assay (a 4th generation one, called Alere Determine COMBO Ag/Ab p24 – HIV1.2) with results in just 15 minutes and that after two weeks it was fully reliable. Results were negative. After 31 days, I went to another clinic, and I retested with the same test. The problem is that in this second clinic they told me that the test was only accurate after 28 days (and not just two weeks after the risk). Results were, indeed, negative.

Due to this different opinions, I freaked out and begun reading in the Internet that this rapid 4th generation tests are not accurate.

2 weeks after the eventual risk, I have mild fever, cough, running nose and SEVERE night sweats. And that’s why I ask you this questions:

- Am I at any risk of having HIV? If not at all, why, then, I developed those symptoms? Specially the night sweats, which I never had, and that every night haunts me.
- Are those rapid 4th generation tests accurate?
- Shall I repeat the tests after 3 months?
- Can I resume my relationship with my girlfriend? We usually have unprotected sex.

Thank you very much for your attention, because I’m absolutely anxious and can’t continue like this…

Welcome to the Forum.  I've read your other 7 posts on the Community site and see that you are worried.,  I hope that my comments will help to relieve your concerns:

There was no risk for HIV form the activities you describe.  HIV is not transmitted by kissing or mutual masturbation. The presence of sores in your mouth and/or the presence of possible gum diseases in either or both of you would make no difference.  I would not have recommended even testing in your situation. Your tests at this time however are accurate and should be believed.

As for your specific questions:
No, this was a no risk event.  The symptoms you describe are no those of early HIV but are those of a common, every day cold, perhaps heightened by anxiety.  The cold is a coincidence- nothing more.

Yes, they are highly accurate.  Your first doctor however was a bit overly optimistic. The 4th generation tests are not completely reliable until 4 weeks (28 days) after exposure.  Your 31 day test is accurate and should be believed.

there is no need for further testing.

There is no reason related to the encounter you describe to worry about unprotected sexual contact with your regular partner at this time.

I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
Thank you very much for your answer, Doctor. I would only want to notice that both test were rapid ones, with results in 20 minutes. Are those tests reliable too?

I'll try to control my anxiety and stop thinking of doing new tests...

Thank you very very much and have a good day!
Yes, I understood this.  Noneless I again remind yiou that this was a no risk exposure and that the 4th generation rapid tests are quite accurate.  Take care.  EWH