HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Cunnilingus Immuno suppressed

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Cunnilingus Immuno suppressed
Hello Doc,

I am a straight male from Seattle,WA. Recently ( a week ago) I had protected sex with an escort. I had unprotected cunnilingus (for 2 mins)  and fingering with some skin off due to nail bitting. I know that there are many similar questions in this forum but the difference is that I am immuno suppressed due to imuran medicine for crohn's disease that I am taking for last 8 years. Here are my questions.

1. what are my odds for me to get infected due to above condition?
2. Shoud I go for testing?
3. If yes what kind of tests
4. Do I have higher risk as I am immun suppressed?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the HIV forum.

HIV has never been documented (or to my knowledge, even suspected) as being responsible for HIV transmisison, in either direction.  If it occurs at all, it is exceedingly rare.

Being seriously immunosuppressed due to illness or drugs might, in theory, delay the time until an HIV test becomes positive, but it has no known effect on susceptibility to HIV if exposed.  In any case, azathioprine (Imuran) is a rather mild immunosuppressive drug.

Finally, it is the rare escort in the US or Western Europe who has HIV, so the chance you were exposed at all is low.  Heterosexually transmitted HIV is very rare among commercial sex workers in Seattle.  To the specific questions:

1) Zero for practical purposes.

2) No testing is needed in this circumstance, unless my words are not sufficiently reassuring.  If the psychological support of a negative test will help get you beyond your fears, by all means feel free to do it.

3) If you get tested, any standard HIV antibody test is fine, 4-6 weeks after the exposure.  Just go to a knowledgeable provider and trust his or her judgment.  Given your location, the Public Health STD Clinic at Harborview would be an excellent choice.  Or the doc who manages your Crohn's disease.

4) See above.  This has no bearing on your risk.

Regards--  HHH, MD