HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Doubts to Dr Hook

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Doubts to Dr Hook

Respectable Edward W Hook, MD, I read many posts here your answered which are helpful to me, I am a gay in Asian, it is a high infected group. I am scared of one thing happened to me one week ago. I met a gay from internet, and did mutual masturbation, deep kiss, fondled body, and penis-penis rub, no intercourse. I have some questions to ask , whether I am at risk for hiv.
1.When deeply kissed ,I had gum disease and he was bleeding .
2. We did mutual masturbation. My finger cut touched his blood and semon on his penis.
3. He gave me a masturbation, his hand with a common bleeding cut and semon touched my penis small wounds(the wounds abraded by his hands) .
4.He sucked my balls and penis, his tooth was a little bleeding and my penis had small wounds abraded by his hands.
5. He rubbed his penis on my penis, both of our penises had wounds and secretions abraded by each other’s hand, the wounds contacted .
Are these cases put me at risk?  Thanks..
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.  Dr. Hook and I take questions interchangeably, without regard to specific requests.  You got me.  Having been close colleagues who have both taught and learned from each other for 30 years, our opinions and advice are always more or less identical, even if our writing styles are different.

You are indeed a member of a very high risk group; gay men in many parts of Asia have high HIV rates.  However, it seems you are pretty careful about safe sex.  You didn't have anal sex, which accounts for almost all sexual HIV transmissions between men.  Fingering, mutual masturbation (even with cuts or nicks on the hands), body rubbing, kissing, and mouth contact with any and all body parts carries no risk.  Even oral sex is risk free, or at least such low risk you need not worry about it.

My advice is that in addition to adhering to very safe practices, as you did with your recent partner, you also ask all prospective partners about their HIV status and tell them your own.  This is easy on the internet; research shows that most people seeking partner on line give pretty reliable notice of their HIV status.  You can then decline to participate with partners who are infected (and not on effective treatment), don't know, or seem evasive about it.

As for the specific sexual practices you describe, every one was risk free, even if your partner had HIV.  On the basis of this particular exposure, you don't need to be HIV tested.  Of course all sexually active men who have sex with men (and not mutually monogamous) should have routine HIV and STD testing from time to time, like every few months or once a year.  If you haven't been tested recently, you might wish to do it now, when it's on your mind.  But not because of the sexual exposures described above.

I hopt this has helped. Best wishes--  HHH, MD

Thank you .Even our wounds on penis contacted with bleeding, finger cut contacted his blood and semon,was it still no risk?I am safe and not infected HIV before this encounter, does it mean no need to test for this time?
Yes, even with those details, no risk and no need to test.  If you never have anal sex, or do so only with condoms and the condom does not rupture, you can expect to go an entire lifetime without catching HIV. But re-read my last paragraph above about periodic testing, even though you don't need HIV testing on account of the exposure you have described.
I am not active in sex, only twice protected sex with gay in the past, and test hiv- after 3 months. Now I encounter this. From now on,I will not contact with gay and get marrid with girl. Can I get marrid now without hiv test?Do I still need periodic hiv test and why?
You can safely marry without putting your wife at risk.  If you are successful in resisting temptations and your future sexual lifestyle is as you have described, you will never need another HIV test.
Dear H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. You are so genial, thanks sincerely.
Dear H. Hunter Handsfield, I want to have a hiv test to confirm myself. The hospital test method is  Chemiluminescence  method, it tests hiv antibody and P24 antigen. Some say  Chemiluminescence  method is less accurate than Elisa, How long can I be tested conclusively after exposure? Still after 4 weeks by Chemiluminescence  method?  Thanks sincerely.
All antibody test types are equally accurate.  Four weeks is 90-95% reliable; it takes 6-8 weeks for definitive results.

That definitely ends this thread.  No more comments, please, and there will be no further advice from me.  Try to move on.