HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Exposure Risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Exposure Risk

Hello
I recently posted a question to this forum a few months ago about an unprotected vaginal sexual experience I had with a girl. I then was diagnosed with HSV2 and have been tested and cleared for every other STD including HIV since then. After receiving those negative results I started suppressive therapy for the HSV2 and have had no other outbreaks since my initial mild outbreak. Since then I recently met a girl whom I did not know at all she is white 23yrs old with 2 children. We actually met on a phone chat line, and immediately started hanging out after the second time of hanging out we had sex, and I told her about my HSV2 and she was OK with the risk's associated with engaging in sexual relations with me after telling  her I was on suppressive therapy . A little about myself I am a 24 yr old healthy heterosexual latino male living in Cincinnati OH. The first time we had sex the first 10 minutes were unprotected and I finished inside of her. She informed me that she could not get pregnant because she had an IUD(mirena) placed in her uterus. After that I got scared and asked her if she had any condoms as I had not planned on having sex with her so soon. She told me that she did not because she had not had sex in over 3 months. I then went and bought condoms the same night and we continued to have sex a few more times. One of the other times we had sex the condom broke and I replaced it immediately. After we had sex we talked the next couple of days over the phone and I asked her repeatedly if she had been tested for STD's, She informed me that she was "clean" and after asking her directly about HIV she replied "hell no" and even gave me the last date she was tested as well as her gyno's name and where she goes to get checked. She even challenged me by saying "if you don't believe me then go get tested." It has now been 4 and a half weeks since this unprotected vaginal experience. I am wondering what was my risk for HIV from this specific scenario?
Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your approach to your sexual health.  Your commitment to suppressive therapy for HSV-2 and to condom protected sex is a good thing which will protect you going forward.  BTW, its also good that the two of you can talk this through with your partner- great work!!.

As for the exposures with the partner you mention- this is low risk.  Only about 1 in 10,000 American women who do not use IV drugs have HIV, thus it is unlikely that this women was infected.   Further, your partner told you she was not infected and even provided a date for her last testing.  All of this suggests that she has been tested and found to be HIV negative.

I would not be overly worried about this exposure.  You may wish to get tested in the future but I would not worry a lot about this. EWH
Dear Dr.,
Thank you so much for the prompt response! Thanks for the compliment, Its quite hard telling people you have sex with that you have an STD it was quite a distressful situation to go through but I'm moving forward. I did forget to mention that after this potential exposure me and my girlfriend have gotten back together and have since been having protected sex, she like this other female have also accepted the risk of contracting HSV2 through unprotected sex while on suppressive therapy and chooses to accept it, she is also a very special young woman to me. This is why I ask my last question, if I wanted reassurance that I don't have HIV would a test at 6 weeks be conclusive before engaging in any type of unprotected sex with my girlfriend?
While according the research studies a 6 week test would detect over 95% of recent infections, the fact is that in your situation, you should accept a negative 6 week test as oroof that you did not acquire HIV.  EWH
Hello Dr.
A quick followup, since I was a bit anxious about this particular exposure I could not wait the full 6 weeks for an oraquick test. Yesterday I had a 5 week rapid test at the health department and it was negative. The counselor informed me that it is protocol for them to tell me to come back at the end of three months for a followup test, but I should not be worried. How reassuring is this result at the 5 week mark? Can I move on?
Thanks Dr.
This will end the thread!