HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Negative after after 70 Days :S

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Negative after after 70 Days :S

I was with a guy and we gave each other "blowjobs" and made out I think I had a hicky.  There was no ejaculation and he said he was 100% clean. I used an OraQuick test after 70 days and the result was negative. II also have a tooth that's not in the best of oral health, though I don't think this has anything to do with transmission. Should I still be worried?
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

It's one that I probably can accurately answer based entirely on the title you chose.  The standard, routinely available HIV tests are virtually 100% reliable within 4-8 weeks after the last possible exposure, with the exact time depending on the specific test(s).  There is rarely any need to wait the full three months officially recommended by the test manufacturers and most official agencies.  Accordingly, with negative testing 10 weeks after your last possible exposure, you can be completely sure you didn't catch HIV. For more discussion, especially on why 3 months remains the official advice, see this thread:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700

Now I have read the question itself.  In addition to the reliable test result, oral sex is zero risk for HIV, or very close to it. One calculation by CDC estimates an average transmission risk of 1 in 10,000 for the oral partner, if the penile partner has HIV; or 1 in 20,000 for the penile partner if the oral one is infected.  These figures are equivalent to giving and receiving BJs by infected partners once daily for 27-55 years before transmission might be likely.

So all is well -- no worries, you're home free.

Regards--  HHH, MD
I should note this was unprotected oral :(
Noted.
Oops -- a minor clarification.  I missed that your negative result was with the oral fluids test.  This is the one test that takes the full 3 months to be conclusive.  I stress you were at virtually zero risk and didn't need testing anyway, and I am entirely confident you weren't infected.  But if you need the psychological reassurance of a 100% definitive test result, you'll need another oral fluids test at 3 months; or any blood test at the present time.
Thank you for the reassurance doctor :) I worry to much.