HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Risk and Testing

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Risk and Testing

Hello, I was hoping to have some feedback on my current circumstances.

Risk of unprotected anal sex as insertive partner late June and late July or very early August. I did use a condom te second time except for a brief time.

Unprotected oral sex with only small amount of receptive oral with no ejaculation. This occurred September 7.

Tested with rapid test at 5 weeks and 4 days. Nonreactive

Tested standard ELISA and PCR DNA at 7 weeks, nonreactive and negative (not detected) respectively.

What is the likelihood I will test positive at 12 weeks? Both testing dates were nearly or beyond the 12 week mark for the anal sex situations. Individual was tested at end of October and was preliminary positive with rapid test. I have not received confirmation of positive status.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to our Forum.  If your partner has HIV (and he should know at this time whether he was or not) your risk for infection from oral sex is virtually zero but there is about a 1% chance that you were infected in the course of unprotected rectal intercourse.  Your test results however provide solid evidence that you were fortunate and were not infected.  The combination of a PCR and HIV antibody test at any time more than 4 weeks after an exposure effectively rule out the possibility that you were infected.  Repeat testing, at any time, including 12 weeks after this exposure will be negative, based on the result you have already provided.

There really is no need for further testing.  I hope that following this event however you will decide to take part in safe, condom-protected sex in the future.  EWH
Thank you for your response, Doctor. It was perhaps the most trying time in my life, as well as an enormous learning experience. Without giving away my background, this episode was unbecoming of who I am and what I believe, and it was extremely unfortunate.

I will avoid duplicative questions and a need for you to expound on your precious answer, but again, thank you so much for setting my mind at ease. Have a wonderful holiday season!
I'm glad my comments were helpful.  EWH
Hello, Doctor. One final question. Are you aware of any false negatives associated with a PCR test? I know there is no absolute certainty with anything, but a common concern is false positives with the PCR.

Also, would taking Advair for my asthma in any way delay antibody production, or are you aware of any other causes of a delay in antibody production?

Thank you again for all your help.
Advair would not negatively effect your HIV test results.

As for false negative PCR tests, these tests are not studied in this way.   EWH
Thank you again, Doctor. I was not actually taking the Advair before the test for some time, and I neglected to mention that.

As far as the PCR tests go, I am highly confident in the results of the PCR and antibody tests used together at 7 weeks after the unprotected oral sex. I was merely concerned with the possibility that I may be the unlucky person where the PCR fails to detect the virus and the antibody test did not detect antibodies. Probably due to my paranoia, but I just need to put my mind at ease.
Hello, Doctor.

I should have phrased my inquiry differently. Have you read or been made aware of any failures of a PCR DNA to detect HIV after 4 weeks? Or a undetected result that later is positive on an antibody test?
Once again, you are asking for data that do not exist in literature because the test is not recommended for use in this way.  I am not aware of any such data.  

I think you are worrying entirely too much.  EWH
Just wanted to follow up on my testing. Went in today for a 13-week Clearview Rapid HIV 1/2, and the results are nonreactive. It was actually 13 weeks and four days.

I know what the likely answer is, but simply out of curiosity, is there anything else I need to know regarding testing?

Thank you again for all of your help. This site has been a tremendous help.

No, there is no need for further concern or testing. You have proven you do not have HIV from the encounter over 3 months ago. EWH
I was reading a post that contained a journal study of individuals who did not produce antibodies but were diagnosed as hiv positive.

My question as a follow up is whether this is possible with my testing? Aside from the initial post, I had a rapid hiv antibody test that was nonreactive at 13.5 weeks post exposure with regard to the last exposure date on September 7.

I guess I am concerned because I do take advair for asthma which may weaken an immune system. However, it remains unclear what, if any, effect this would have relative to the production of antibodies.
Last answer.  You keep repeating the same question over and over again.  this will not change the answer.  Your tests are negative- you did not get HIV from your exposure in September.  

Taking Advair will have no effect on your antibody production.  

Further questions will be deleted without comment.  EWH