HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV/STD from breast sucking

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV/STD from breast sucking

Welcome to our forum-I'll be happy to answer your question- it is a question that we have answered many times in the past.  Unless there was an obvious, visible sore or lesion on the woman's breast, there is no risk at all for any STD, including HIV from sucking a woman's breast. This is true whether or not there is milk or any other secretion from the breast.  

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/HIV-STD-from-Nipple-sucking-licking/show/1808861

Please can you tell me if a person sucks a woman's nipples and breasts and licks them :

1) Can he contract any STD/HIV?

2) If the woman has any sign of liason/sores on her breasts, will that cause any STD/HIV?

3) " Unless there was an obvious, visible sore or lesion on the woman's breast, there is no risk at all for any STD, including HIV from sucking a woman's breast. This is true whether or not there is milk or any other secretion from the breast."

What does it mean?

Dr.Hook, please refer to your answer.
You have copied my prior answer to this question into this thread.  The answers are clear.  You cannot HIV or other STDs from contact of your mouth with a woman's breast unless she has a visible sore or lesion due to an STD on her breast- then you have a very low chance of getting the infection that causes the sore.  Thus, the answers to this repetitive question are:

1) Can he contract any STD/HIV?
No.

STDs that casue sores/lesions are typically spread by direct contact- thus contact of a persons mouth with a sore has a possibility of leading to transmission of infection.

This is a statement, not a question.  

EWH

Dr. Hook, so you are saying that if a woman has a sore or liason on her breast and a man sucks on that sore or liason , he can contract HIV.?
No, you are not reading my reply correctly- I am saying you could get the infection that is casuing the sore/lesion.  HIV does not casue sores or lesions.  EWH
SO, JUST BE CLEAR Dr. Hook, HIV does not cause any sore/liason and if a woman has sore/liason and a man sucks those breasts and on the liason/sore , he cannot get HIV. Right?
Sorry, it's supossed to read just to be clear. sorry
Yes, you have correctly re-stated what I said above.  HIV does not cause sores or lesions and men do not get HIV from contact with infected womens' breasts.  EWH