HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV/STDs and sore throat?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV/STDs and sore throat?

Hi Doctor, I am a 27 yr old male, recently on 28th Dec 2007 I had protected vaginal sex with a stripper of unknown HIV status. Before vaginal intercourse, i performed unprotected oral on her. We used a latex condom. After 30 mins of sex, i put on a new condom just to be safe. Since the encounter, i was really worried. I went and got tested for all STDs exactly 18 days after the encounter. All tests were negative. I retested again 35 days later for HIV and it was negative. However after 6 weeks, i have developed a very severe sore throat. I dont have any other symptoms (fever, headache, cold etc). The general physician i visited, has ruled out Mono and Strep.
1) Do any of the STDs give a severe sore throat that lasts for more than a week?
2) Also, how reliable is an 18 day negative test for bacterial infections like Gonorrhea, Chlamadia etc
3) I have read in your previous forums that a negative HIV test at 35 days is highly reliable but i am really worried. The sore throat does not seem to get any better. Could this be due to stree or any other problem.
Tags: HIV, HIV Prevention&Risks, sore th, sore throat
You are not at risk.  The nature of your exposure (unprotected oral and protected vaginal) is so low that I would not have recommended testing for you.  You now have two sets of tests which are negative.  When these are put together with you remarkably small risk (approximating zero) to start with, you can be absolutely sure that you do not have STD or HIV and know that further testing is not needed.  As for your specific questions:

1.  Actually, the STDs that infect the throat are usually asymptomatic.
2.  Very, very reliable - believe them
3.  In your situation your should accept the results of your 35 day test as fact.  While for some people with riskier sorts of exposures a very small percent of people might not yet have developed a positive test, your situation is different--you can be sure do do not have HIV.  

I would suggest you see your regular health care provider for this sore throat.  It is not an STD.  EWH
Thank you Doctor.
One last question -  is the Herpes IGg Type 1&2 test reliable after 18 days? You only mention HIV,
Its a bit early.  On average it takes about 21-28 days fro the HerpeSelect IgG to become positive if it going to be.  At the same time, without lesions, your risk is very low EWH
What about risk of tramsmission for oral herpes. The woman i was having sex with did not seem to have any breakouts. I see that DR hunter mentions in one of the forums that oral herpes can cause a severe throat lasting for three weeks.

It can cause a sore throat but that is rare and your risk is low.  I urge you not to be concerned unless you develop sores on your mouth.  EWH
Doctor, i am planning to go and get tested for Herpes 1 and 2. Is been 6 weeks since the exposure. One question - if someone is experience symtpoms of primary infection, then will the herpes blood test turn positive. If it turns negative, should i conclude i dont have it?
As implied above, when your test comes back negative, please accept it as proof that you do not have herpes.  EWH
Hi Doctor. Thank you for being so supportive. I went and tested for all STDs again today. I will get the results on Monday. One last Q - Regd, the sore throat, its shifted to the base of the throat(upper part of the chest). I am having some chest discomfort too. Also the pain varies during different time in the day (more severe in the afternoon and night). Is this compatible with the sore throat that is caused by HSV-1. Just wanted to know while i wait for my results on Monday.
Still nothing to suggest you have herpes.  EWH
The sore throat is there for a week now. But i dont have any sores on my mouth. In Herpes, is this possible? This is my last question :). As you can see i am paranoid. Keeping my fingers crossed for Mondays test results.
Dear Doctor,
One information you will make everyone relax.
Have you ever heard or seen in the history of HIV that -ve test turn to +ve after 7 week for any risk?
Thanks a lot.
One last time, this is not herpes.   EWH
I tested negative for all STDs. Thank you doctor for your support and time. Like you sugested, i dont need any firther testing, correct?
This thread has ended- no more repetition.  EWH