HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Testing while on Antibiotics

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Testing while on Antibiotics

Hello.  I apologize if you have ever answered this question before, but I could not specifically find it in the archives.  I had unportected sex multiple times (6 or 8 times) with my ex-boyfriend who I have I have known my entire life.  We broke up and I found out he has been with many other girls. I am a very anxious person and I always assume the worse.  It has been six weeks since the last time we had sex.  I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with an ear infection, a throat infection and an upper respitory infection.  He perscribed me amoxicillin and naproxen.  I just ordered a home access HIV test and was wondering if a) that is a good enough test to take and b)are the medications going to alter the results at all.  I want to rely 100% on the results and not have any doubt.

This forum has been very helpful for me in the past and this is the first time I am posting my own question.  I want to thank you in advance for being available to people like me who have a hard time discussing things in person.
No medicine affects the validity of HIV testing, including antibiotics.  The only possible exceptions, to my knowledge, are 1) antiretroviral therapy, which when used as post-exposure prophylaxis might delay a positive test result (if the PEP doesn't work); and 2) potent chemotherapy, as for leukemia or other cancers (and that isn't known for sure, just speculated).  You can rely on your test result, which almost certainly wil be negative.

Thanks for your kind comments about the forum.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you Doctor.  Your words already are putting me at ease.  I will be confident with the results I get.

Thanks!
Hey there Dr. H, I was feeling pretty good about my 8 week HIV 1,2, P24 negative result and 10 week rapid test negative result until your statement "post-exposure prophylaxis might delay a positive test result".

You would recall that I continued my PEP for 6 weeks due to a false positive PCR Viral load test. I have had many test since including Western Blots and PCR DNA, thankfully all negative. The last tests were at 10 week mark as I have mentioned above.

I know you have said there is no reliable data on this but would you give your opinion on how much of a delay PEP or ARV would cause in the formation of antibodies. I have stopped PEP about 4 weeks ago. my potential exposure was 10 weeks ago. I plan to stop testing at 12 -13 week mark and get on with my life, is this wise. Look foward to your response.
I'm not an expert in PEP or its possible effect on delayed seroconversion.  This is a question for the provider who prescribed PEP.  But my belief is you have no worries.

HHH, MD
Thanks Dr. HHH for your reassurances. Means a lot. I am now also starting to believe that I am OK. You did say that you would bet your house on roulette wheel on me. If I turn positive after all this, I
I just wanted to update everyone on the status of my test, as rarely do we see any updates after the risks and questions have been posted.  As the Dr. predicted my HIV test was negitive.  I know so many of you are in the same boat that I was and believe me when I say anxiety gets the best of us.  When you think logically about your "risky" situations you would know that HIV was probably very unlikely and you more likely to contract a more common STD.  So read this site for reassurance over and over again, but the only thing that will put your mind at ease is that negitive test result.  I wish everyone the best!
Congrats on your negative result and taking the time to write back. I do also update my thread after every test that I have taken. Can't comment on others but perhaps they move on, i.e. no news is good news.

But you are right in saying that all threads should be taken to their conclusion at least for their education value. I will continue to post my results even if I turn positive, which the good Dr. says will be creating medical history.
A related discussion, does hiv patients lead their life happily????????? was started.