HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Tests Till 10 Weeks

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Tests Till 10 Weeks

I was the receptive guy in some unprotected anal sex and the top came inside me. He assured me he was clean and hadnt had sex for 6 months, and was tested 2 months prior to us meeting.

It was stupid of me I know and I had a test in New York just under 4 weeks later which was clean. Then before I left to move back to the UK I got sick. I had a headache, high temperature and some photophobia. This was rare as I cant remember the last time I got ill. This was now 6 weeks after the sex.

I moved back to the UK, the symptoms cleaned up and emailed again the guy who insisted I had nothing to worry about and then at the 8 week mark I had another test which was clean. I followed this up with a 10 week test which was also clean.

I realise you have spoke about testing times before and Im sorry - I just needed some advice tailored to me. Its stupid and I know the odds are good but I cant stop worrying.

My local clinic told me that if I tested negative after these symptoms then they were definitely not ars-related - is this true?

What are the chances in your opinion of a positive test still to come? Odds-wise? Have you ever encountered a patient who has gone ten weeks negative and then turned out to be positive?

I'm just finding it hard to stop thinking about and worrying. Thank you doctor.
Tags: anal, negative
You already know my answers.  Although unprotected anal sex is, in general, the highest HIV risk sexual activity there is, the combination of your partner's apparently honest assertion that he is HIV negative plus your negative test results at 10 weeks really do put you in the clear.  You have probably seen the many times I have said that even when symptoms are similar to those associated with ARS, they are much less reliable than the test results.  Some experts would recommend yet another test after 3 months have passed, but I do not; but you might want to do it just to avoid having someone wrongly lecture you about it, which probably would further increase your anxiety.

Personally, I have never encountered a patient who was HIV negative at 10 weeks (or even at 4-6 weeks) who later becamse positive.

Good luck---  HHH, MD
Thank you very much doctor - a weight has been lifted!!
sorry to post like this but i am going on vacation in 2 days and need some rest and reassurance-(the questions for the past few days are always full)--I went to a massage parlor and recieved and handjob from a sex worker there-she used the "community" lotion during the event ---first she rubbed me all over with it ---i work construction so i have several cuts and scraper on my legs ect -that are fresh --she also used this with the handjob and was very vigorous when she did it----my question is ---Would it at all be possible with open cuts and the handjob to catch hiv?---My penis was raw and had several scrapes and irrated from her "effort" she put into it --plus she stated that is all she does--she doesn't do anyother favors--what if she was to not wash her hands after customers ---could it be possible --I do apologize for asking in an open thread and to the original poster but i am flipping out---1 million thanks if you take the time to comment ---
No worries. No one ever got HIV from a handjob, regardless of roughness, etc. And you certainly didn't get it through the cuts/scrapes on your body, either. Have a nice vacation.
thanks for your post i appriciate it ---very much
I didn't see a response to his "Testing after symptoms"  Can someone rule out symptoms that happen before/durring a routine elisa test?
Doctor I was called a few weeks after my 10 week test to tell me that I had hep B antibodies present. Ive been in for a test today to confirm this - they told me its nothing to worry about as my body has been in contact with hep B and developed antibodies independently - they merely needed a confirmatory test. The question I now have is would my HBV infection have affected the results of my 10 week HIV test? Is this still accurate? Thank you greatly
A related discussion, HIV testing was started.