HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Transsexual Risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Transsexual Risk

Hi Doctor. Here I am again :/. Yesterday I had sex with a Transsexual prostitute, who I am SURE was HIV+, due to the fact that he asked me to penetrate him without a condom. I have fingered his anus and my finger´s skin had some scratches. I have also penetrated him with a condom, but it wasn´t a deep penetration at all. Now I want to assess my risk, and ask if is it safe to continue to have unprotected sex with my girlfriend. Do I need testing? Thanks.
Welcome back to the Forum.  Before I answer your questions, I hope I can encourage you to consider why you went on to have sex with a person who you thought had HIV (this may not be the case- see below).  Is this a long term relationship or is something else going on?

That your partner asked to have unprotected sex does not mean that he had HIV.  

Even if your partner had HIV, this was a low risk encounter.  HIV is not spread through masturbation ("fingering") even if you had scratches on your fingers and condom protected sex is safe sex as long as the condom does not break,  

From what you tell me, there is no reason for concern, no reason to abstain from sex with your girlfriend and not medical reason to test.  If you are nervous and testing will give you peace of mind, then that may be a reason to test.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  EWH
Hi, doctor, sorry for the late feedback. Infact, the transexual was just a hooker, and that's why i'm scared and sure, due to his behavior, tahat he is hiv+. What's annoying me is that I hadn't a full erection when I topped, and the condom was a bit loose. I'm not even sure if there was penetration at all, because when i withdrawed, the condom was still on my penis. But maybe there was some slipping when thrusting and then it covered my penis again on withdraw. Due to this, I ask:
1) does this changes my risk?
2) when you say low risk, are you talking about 1/1000?
3) In my situation, should i really resume unprotected sex with my girlfriend?
Sorry for taking your time, doctor! I promise those are my last questions regarding this exposure.
Thanks for your wonderfull work.
Dr. Edward W Hook, please let me know if you think that my questions are anxiety-driven. Infact, what worries me is the fact that I haven´t used the condom properly, because my penis wasn´t on full erection when I wore the condom, although it was still on me on withdrawal.
I think you are over-reacting. If the condom was on when you pulled out of your partner it did not slip off and did its job.  Condoms do their job even if the penis is not fully erect as long as it is on and not slip off and on during sex.  Your risk from condom protected anal sex is substantially lower than 1 in 1,000 - probably less than 1 in 10,000.  

As I said before, I would not be concerned about your resuming unprotected sex with your GF.  EWH
Dr., sorry to bother you again, but I´m having  mild pharyngitis since november 26, and I´m taking nimesulide since then. No fever, or pains, but I think nimesulide may be masking it. The timing really annoys me. Does this change my odds or your view about my risk? I may repost and pay again for your answer, if necessary, so pleease, let me know! Thanks again.
No change in my advice or assessment.  EWH