HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV and STD Concerns after oral sex

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV and STD Concerns after oral sex

Hello Doctor,

2 weeks ago i received oral sex and protected vaginal sex from a sex worker in Bangkok. The vaginal sex was in the shower and the condom remained intact and on throughout. She also checked the condom before we started. After 10 mins i ejaculated inside the condom. Removed it and showered. She also showered go changed and joined me on the bed were she performed 15-20 mins of unprotected oral sex/handjob. I also noticed her brushing her teeth after her shower. Reading online i am worried that i am exposed to hiv, hep b and other stds. Can you identify the risks if any and should i go and get tested at the GUM clinic in the UK.
I have a long term partner and i dont want this night to put her health on the line.

Tags: HIV, STDs
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

Your statement "Reading online i am worried that i am exposed to hiv, hep b and other stds" suggests you have seen some inaccurate and perhaps non-professional information.  I would rate this as a low risk exposure for any and all STDs, including HIV.  Here are some threads -- with links to still others -- that discuss the STD/HIV of oral to genital transmission by fellatio.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1723730
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1948289

In addition, it is statistically unlikely your partner has either HIV or hepatitis B.  Probably she was immunized against Hep B, as are most people in Thailand; and HIV is now uncommon in Thai sex workers (very different than a couple of decades ago, but many websites have not caught up with Thailand's very successful HIV prevention campaigns for sex workers).  And condom-protected vaginal sex is pretty much risk free.

Of course you can never go wrong with getting personal advice at a GUM clinic, and perhaps they would recommend testing for some STDs, mainly for reassurance purposes.  However, if I somehow found myself in your circumstances, I would not be tested and would continue unprotected sex with my wife.  If you are tested at all, the only things I wold recommend would be a urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia and blood tests (after a few weeks have passed) for HIV and syphilis.

In the meantime, you shouldn't be worried.  There is little likelihood you caught anything.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you Doctor,

The other threads have helped. I take it the fact she brushed her teeth makes no difference to the situation?

I have already gone for a urine test and i am waiting on the results.

How long should i wait for a blood test. Normally in the UK its 3 months. Would results be reliable after 6 weeks?

Your website has really helped my Anxiety which i struggle with and taking medication and getting counselling for.

Thank you once again

Thanks for the thanks.  I'm glad to have helped.

I find it interesting that many forum questions allude to tooth brushing as if were a risk for certain infections by oral sex. If there is any such risk, it is theoretical only, without any real data behind it; and undoubtedly a very small influence if any at all.

As indicated above, I really don't think it's necessry for you to be tested.  But if you do it, urine testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia is valid any time more than 2-3 days after exposure, and you can have an accurate duo test for HIV at 4 weeks (which is now the usual norm in the UK, as I understand it) and blood tests for hep B and syphilis at 6 weeks.  Or just go to a GUM clinic and follow their advice.