HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV chance from blood transfusion

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV chance from blood transfusion

Dear Dr,

Last year I received blood transfusion during a surgery. I received 3 units of blood if I am not mistaken.
I was paranoid about HIV and tested approx 10 weeks after the transfusion and never tested again.

I had a call from an immigration medical exam that something came positive (and don't know what yet) and I am paranoid of the possibility of it being HIV. I have no concerns on my sex life

Here are my questions:

1) What are the odds of getting HIV from a bood transfusion?
2) What are the odds in mi case with 3 units of blood and negative HIV test approx 10 weeks after the transfusion?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

Although I haven't reviewed the data recently, I believe it has been many years since there was a case of HIV acquired by blood transfusion in the US.  (You don't say where you are, but the same is likely true for all industrialized countries and maybe even world wide.)  The blood screening system is highly effective in preventing HIV-contaminated blood, or blood products, from being used for transfusion.  Further, any and all the standard HIV tests accurately detect all infections by 10 weeks, so you can rely 100% on your negative test results.

So the answer to both your questions is "zero".  I haven't a clue what result might have come up on your immigration medical exam, but you can be sure you don't have HIV.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD