HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV from Kissing

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV from Kissing

hello doctor. A friend of mine is going ballistic over a kissing encounter at a massage parlor. The exact sequence is unclear but he swears that he kissed the girl at the massage parlor on the lips but that the mucosal contact was for less than a second. The girl opened her mouth slightly and her oral mucosa definitely touched his oral mucosa. But only for about less than a second and he immediately pulled off. I have told him not to worry but he wants a professional to answer. Is there a risk of getting HIV from such an encounter?? does it warrant testing?? Thanks for this forum doctor.
Your friend has nothing to worry about, no matter how long the kissing was for and no matter how much in the way of secretions were exchanged.  This question has been answered on this Forum many times - this is a response I made recently to another client which addresses this concern, as well as oral sex (after all, some people get confused as to where kissing ends and oral sex begins) ---"Kissing is no risk, even deep kissing and even with gum or dental disease. The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  This includes by all of the people who had gum disease, etc."

I hope this comment is helpful to you and your friend.  EWH