HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV risk exposure

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV risk exposure

I had protected sex (vaginal and oral) and genital hand genital with an escort in Thailand. Given the high HIV prevalence in the country, I am worried and want to know my risk?

I fingered her and then we had sex with a condom. But I withdrew before ejaculation and noticed that her vagina had scratched due to my fingering. However, I used the same finger (presumably with her vaginal fluid and some blood on it) and masturbated thereafter. Please advise on the risk exposure as a result.

Thanks.
As Dr. Handsfield has already told you, there is no risk of acquiring HIV from masturbation. This is true even if you scratched your partner's vagina with your finger as you masturbated her.  Similarly, there is no risk of HIV from condom protected sex.  there is nothing about the activities you describe that raises concerns about HIV and no reason to recommend testing.  EWH

Thanks for the response. However, I read somewhere (half-baked knowledge is no good but nervous) that Thailand has HIV subtype E that apparently spreads more easily? Is there any such technicality that would cause this and affect my situation?

Thanks.
No, my comments are relavant for Type E as well.  No risk.  EWH
Thanks doctor.

However, today (8 days since the incident) I got fever (99.6-100.5) - the most common symptom. Do you think there is a need to get tested? I have asked the escort agency in Thailand repeatedly and they assure me that the girl was clean.

The reason the fever makes me really anxious is that I read from Dr. HHH in one of the answers that the symptoms are acute in 10-20 days. My fever set on date (Day 8) seems extremely close. What do you think?
Your anxiety is getting the best of you.  You have a coincidental fever- you may even develop other symptoms of the sort of flu-like illness which is common in travelers but it will not be early HIV.  Try to relax.  Testing is of no medical value. EWH
Is the point regarding timing of the fever not valid? And why do you say testing is of no medical value?
thanks
I have just read in places that genital - hand - genital can transfer, and given that it was subtype E (Thailand) I am extremely worried now with the fever?
I have nothing more to say.  Time for the thread to end unless you have test results to report which need clarification. EWH
I got a test done (9 days post) - it was H1 & 2. The results were negative. I understand it was too early for this test- but was wondering if my results today hold any meaning?
Last answer.  You have already said it is too early to provide meaningful information.  I agree. there will be no more answers. EWH
thanks a lot. and sorry for causing trouble.