HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV risk from neck bite

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV risk from neck bite

Dear Doctors,
  I have a question regarding my recent possible exposure. I am currently in China and I went to a massage parlour to receive a handjob. The handjob was nothing special, however one thing really scared me is that during the process the masseuse bit me on the neck a little bit. No blood was present and it didn't not hurt after couple minutes. I think what she did was basically pulled a little bit of skin on my neck with her teeth. I don't see any open wound right now and I didn't notice any blood in her mouth. The area is slightly red from the bite.
Please help me assess my risk from this exposure if she is HIV positive.

Really appreciate it
Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help.  As it happens, almost the identical question was asked yesterday:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/Human-bite-from-a-high-risk-person/show/1657294

In both that question and yours, the skin wasn't broken by the bite.  Thus there was no risk of HIV.  Even if the skin had been broken, the risk of transmission still would be very low; and it is statistically unlikely your partner had HIV.

You shouldn't be at al worried about HIV from this event.  I don't recommend testing.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD  
Thanks for the response doctor. I have one follow up question. I am wondering how can I determine if my skin wasn't broken by the bite?
This also was discussed in the other thread.  Did you look at it?  (If there was no bleeding, you can safely assume the skin was not broken.)
Thanks Doctor. I think there was no bleeding when the bite happened. However, it did hurt sharply for seconds. Do you think that is a sign of broken skin?
Also could you please tell me how low is the chance of getting infected through bite? Is it lower than protected vaginal sex?

Really appreciate your input.
Oh come on.  Use a little common sense.  And once again, it is obvious you didn't read my reply on the other thread, where the second question was directly answered.

That's all for this thread.  I don't have time to repeat myself for users who won't take the time to pay attention to my replies.
I am sorry Doctor but I did read your replies on the other thread carefully. For my second question, I am just wondering if there is any stats out there regarding the possibility of getting infected through bite.
My apologies if my response offended you in any means. Your input really really helps.
*Sigh*

From the other thread:  "Being bitten, or suffering tooth wounds by an HIV infected person (e.g., in a fight), is often listed as a potential risk for HIV transmission.  However, to my knowledge there has never been a single documented case in which it actually happened."

Obviously, in that circumstance there can be no other applicable statistics.