HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV risk

(Prior to my encounter with this woman I had been tested for all STD's including HIV and everything was negative.  I haven't had any sexual contact with anyone in 2 years).  

About 3 weeks ago, I slept with a Japanese woman (I'm currently in Japan).  Prior to sleeping together, she assured me that she didn't have any STD's or HIV as she was tested in December.  We ended up having unprotected sex 2 times.  About 2 days after we had slept together, something didn't feel right in my groin area.  I went to the doctor and and tested positive for chylamedia.  The doctor here gave me some pills to take.  I haven't been tested for HIV yet since it is too early, but am definitely worried.  I contacted the woman and told her what happened and she said that she will go get tested tomorrow and she was totally shocked about the STD news.  She said she never had any symptoms.

My question is:  Should I wait 3 more weeks and test for HIV at the 6 week mark or should I wait longer?  I'm very concerned that since she gave me an STD, then she may have given me HIV too.  Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

I'm a bit puzzled by your story.  Can you say more about your chlamydia test?  Urine, urethral swab, or blood?  If urine or swab, see if you can learn exactly what test was done -- in particular, did you have a nucleic acid amplification test NAAT)?  It is very peculiar for chlamydia to cause symptoms after only 2 days; and when it does cause symptoms, discomfort in the groin is not what I would expect.  The main chlamydia symptoms in men are discharge of pus or mucus from the penis, sometimes with mild discomfort on passing urine.

However, even if the chlamydia diagnosis is correct, you still are at very low risk of HIV.  Heterosexually transmitted HIV is rare in Japan, and regardless of chlamydia, it is very unlikely your partner had HIV.  And even if she did, and even with chlamydia, the chance of HIV transmission during any single episode of unprotected vaginal sex is probably under 1 chance in 1,000.

And you probably don't need to wait several weeks. Most likely your partner will be tested for HIV when she sees her doctor about chlamydia.  If her test is negative, you will know you were not exposed and not at risk for HIV.  But if you decide to go ahead with testing yourself, if you have a duo test (for HIV antibody and p24 antigen), then a 100% reliable result is available at 4 weeks.

I'll be interested to hear more about your chlamydia test, and perhaps about your partner's test results for both chlamydia and HIV.  With that information, I may have more comments and advice about your risks and testing.  In the meantime, don't be highly worried.  The chance you caught HIV is extremely low.

Best regards--  HHH, MD
Hello Doctor,

To answer your questions, my Chylamedia test was done by swab.  I am not sure what type of test it was.  Also, what I meant by uncomfortable groin was a slight burning in the tip of my penis.

The woman just called me and said that all of her tests were negative including HIV, but she did have Candida.  

Is it possible to get a false positive for chylamedia?  I have already taken the Zithromax that the doctor gave me.  Also could her candida trigger a false positive result?

Thanks for your time.
Thanks for clarification of your symptoms.  Your symptoms were typical for chlamydia, and apparently you were infected with chlamydia during the exposure described, even though your symptoms started sooner than usual.  The chlamydia tests are highly reliable and I doubt your test result is false.  And Candida does not cause false posititive chlamydia tests.

It remains unlikely your partner had HIV; and if she did, unlikely you were infected with HIV.  But it makes sense for you to be tested; better safe than sorry.  You can expect a negative result.
Thanks for your reply!  Possibly you may have misread my response.  

The woman was tested for all STD and HIV and the results were negative.  Even her chylamedia test was negative!  

Since she was negative, that's why I was asking about a false positive for chylamedia.

My apologies if I was unclear.
Although false positive tests for chlamydia are rare, false negative ones are more common.  So it remains possible your partner had chlamydia that was missed by testing.  But there remains a very small chance your test was falsely positive.  You may never know for sure.  But you have now been treated, so the problem will clear up.  And this still remains a low risk situation for HIV, so no worries there.

This should also be a lesson to you about condoms.  Next time, use one!

That should end this thread.  Good luck.