HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV test at 4 weeks

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV test at 4 weeks

I had unprotected anal sex ( i was the top) with a guy i had trust with who was unaware at the time he was HIV+.  I was in him for less than 2 mins., lube was used, and I am not an agressive top so it wasn't rough.  4 weeks to the day, I went to whitman walker clinic and tested negative on the finger stick rapid 20 mins. test.  I plan on getting the rest of my tests done but I am just in a state of worry and am looking for any relief possible.  I think the stress over this is really hard on my mind and body.  I have read conflicting reports.... some say a  week test is "a very good indicator" of your status or they are at least 90% accurate.  My question is thus... considering my activity and my 4 week negative hiv test result can I be reasonably assured that I will continue to test negative.  Thank you for your time.
You had an obviously high risk exposure, but the odds nevertheless are strongly on your side.  The average risk of transmission through unprotected anal sex, from the receptive (anal) to the insertive (penile) partner, is around once in every 500 exposures.  And among people with new HIV infections, at least 90% will have positive results by 4 weeks.  Using these figures, the chance you have HIV is 0.002 x 0.1 = 0.0002, or 1 chance in 5,000.  To be completely certain, have another HIV test at 3 months -- or, if your WW clinic provider agrees, at 6-8 weeks.

Whitman Walker is one of the country's premier HIV prevention and treatment facilities and for excellent general health care for men who have sex with men.  I recommend you follow their advice and lay off the internet.  You can find anything on the web, and most of what you find will be unnecessarily alarming.

As for your sexual practices, congratulations on knowing your partner's apparent HIV status (which is what I assume you mean by saying you "trusted" your partner).  As I have said many times on this forum, sharing HIV status is a crucial element of sexual safety among MSM.  But you have learned that it isn't foolproof.  Outside mutually monogamous relationships between partners both known to be HIV negative, condoms should be automatic and routine for anal sex between male partners.

Bottom line (no pun intended):  The odds are strongly in your favor, and you likely dodged the bullet this time.  I expect your additional HIV tests to be negative.  Follow WWC's advice about additional testing.  And please take the condom message to heart.

Stay safe--  HHH, MD