HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV testing

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV testing

Doctor

I had unprotected sex with a street worker about 21 weeks ago.  At six weeks I did a rna by pcr test that was negitive and at fifteen weeks did an antibody test also negative.  I just recently found out I have chron's disease.  Do I need further testing.  Reading on the web, a compromised immune system makes the results take longer.
Welcome to the forum.

The combination of a negative PCR at 6 weeks and antibody at 15 weeks is absolute proof against HIV.  The notion that immune deficiency delays test results is mostly theoretical, with very few if any proved cases in which it actually happened; such delays apply only to the antibody tests, not to PCR or other direct virus detection tests; a delay in antibody deteciton on account of immune deficiency never would be as long as 15 weeks; and Crohn's disease or its treatment do not cause nearly the level of immune deficiency that would be required.  If there is any effect at all, it is only with potent cancer chemotherapy and very powerful immunosuppressive drugs in high dose.

So no worries.  For sure you weren't infected during your exposure 5 months ago.  No further testing is necessary.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Doctor
Thank you for your response.  I do have one last question.  Why is the information about this disease so poor?  The only place to find information is on line and it scares the hell out of me.  Where can you find facts.  Just trying to find a factual writing is impossible.
To be honest, I disagree with the premise.  There is more information, and more accurate information, about HIV and its transmission than for most health problems.  It is true that one must be dilligent in selecting education resources.  HIV and other STDs are very politicized, and information is influenced by religious and other cultural biases, so you have to be careful to select objective, science-based resources.  But you could easily have found the information I provided by phoning your local or state health department; online on sites run by health departments, federal government (e.g., CDC, NIH, and other countries' health agencies); several private agencies, e.g. the American Social Health Association (www.ashastd.org); and others.  But you have to be smart and not just do a google search, for example.
Can you get hep c from oral sex?
No, probalby not.  Nor hepatitis B.

That will be all for this thread.