HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Had Protected Sex with Prostitute on Her Period

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I am now under alot of anxiety and stress.  I had a party that led us to a brothel which happened on May 9, 2012. I had intercourse with a prostitute who has her period. I used a condom 3x since I had problems getting it up because there was alcohol involved. Every time my penis went down I replace it with new condoms before vaginal penetration. But there was no breaking and I was positive about that. I didn't even finish inside her (I finished on my hand). There was no oral sex only kissing and the prostitute sucked my nipples which I am extremely afraid of as well. So after the deed I wiped everything(finished on my hand) and went home.
When I got home I took a shower and noticed blood on my underwear. I knew there would be blood on my pubic area since she has her period but still I got nervous. I am positive that I have no wound or blemishes on my pubic area and on my penis and still I am still scared. I month after the encounter I had an HIV test done and went out negative but I am still scared and under alot of stress. I had an executive check up to see if I had accumulated any STD but went out negative but had Herpes type 1 but my health care provider told me that it was not the STD kind and according to her it was treatable an is common. I am still under anxiety. My question is am I going to get HIV/AIDS because of this? Was there any blood transfusion that occurred? What are my chances of getting any STDs with my encounter? I have numbing feeling on my hands, my feet feels hot everytime, up until now I have flu like sniffles and my neck feels heavy and I just had a itchy feeling which i dont know if it is rashes caused by HIV. What are my chances of survival? Please help me I am freaking out right now and don't know what to do since this is the first time I had done this. I hope you could give me a thorough and detailed advise.
I still want to live and have a family.

Best Regards,

Welcome back to our Forum.  I am sorry that your concerns about these exposures continue to worry you despite my prior input and those of the physician who saw you for your check-up.  I have already provided you with a complete response which you should review.  The symptoms you are describing at this time are far more consistent with anxiety than with HIV.  As i said earlier " If you choose to test for your peace of mind, I am confident the tests will show that you did not get HIV from this exposure."
That remains my advice.  EWH
I tested positive 3x in urine rapid test. I went to the hospital to confirm if I am really HIV positive so I had a ELISA blood test. After 3 days of waiting. The result came out negative (for the ELISA Blood test) this is the 2nd blood test i had. The first was after 3 weeks then tested positive with urine test 3x in a row in the 4th month but tested negative with ELISA Blood test. I was relived when the blood test came out negative but there I am still worried.

Please advise. Is there still a chance that I have HIV. I am still freaking out
No change in my assessment or advice.

further, I should point out, there are NO urine tests for HIV.  I have no idea what your "positive" test was

This thread is now over.  EWH