HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Handjob and HIV?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Handjob and HIV?

Dr. Handsfield,

I recently received a handjob from a man of unknown HIV status. I know that STDs are not a risk for mutual masturbation, but I have a particular circumstance. Just under the tip of my penis I have another opening (approximately one centimeter long) into the urethra. It isn't a slit like the meatus. You can see into the urethra. This happened whe I was circumsized. I nearly bled to death, so the doctor attempted to cauterize the wound, burning the existing hole.

My question has to do with pre-ejaculate. I don't know if he had any on his hand, but if he had would this put me at risk for infection given my particular condition? Full disclosure here: I am a diagnosed OCD, so I have difficulty judging the severity of my anxiety over this matter. If this merits testing beyond assuaging my anxieties then I will certainly do so. But I also don't want to feed my anxieties if they are unreasonable.
You have been asking about hand jobs and STDs on the community forums for a year and a half, at least since April 2007.  You were told correctly that no STDs are ever transmitted that way.  That includes HIV.

The condition you describe is called hypospadias.  (I suppose it could have been caused by the circumcision problem you describe, but usually it is a congenital anomay.) It's main health risk is for bacterial urinary tract infection.  There is no evidence that it increases the risk for STDs or HIV.  I can imagine that it might slightly increase the risk, but not to the point that a hand job would ever be a risk.  That's regardless of exposure to pre-ejaculate fluid, and regardless of whether or not your hand-job partners are lkely to have HIV.

Bottom lines:  No HIV testing is required.  But as you suggest yourself, if you want to get tested anyway for peace of mind, it's fine with me.

And by the way, if you haven't seen a urologist (as an adult) about your penile defect, you might consider doing it.  A urologist probably could tell you whether it increases the risk of UTI.  Also, microsurgical techniques and technologies are far better than in past decades, and surgical repair might be possible.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your prompt response. When you say no STDs are ever transmitted through hand jobs does that include things like crabs or scabies?
I'm sorry to be bothersome, but other follow up. Is it still a hypospadia if I already have a normal opening at the tip of the penis? The oening isn't in the wrong location. It's an additional opening that leaves the urethra fully exposed.

Thank you
I don't know the formal definition of hypospadias.  It's an issue to discuss with a urologist.

Crabs and scabies probably are not transmitted by hand jobs. There are no data, but I can't envision how that could happen.
I guess I'm just confused about how HIV transmission works and hence my anxiety. I don't understand how my condition makes me susceptible to bacterial infection but HIV spread on someone's hand would not put me at risk.
HIV transmission risk is related to the amount of virus to which a person is exposed.  "Just one virus" doesn't do it.  The amount of virus on someone's hand, even if contaminated with genital secretions, simply isn't enough to cause infection.  But anyway, the mechanisms don't matter.  Since nobody in the world has been suspected to have acquired HIV by hand job, despite the fact that various predisposing conditions are common (penile wounds, scratches, herpes, etc), you can assume you're not going to be the first.

You came here for reassurance and I gave it. Accept it and move on.  Stop trying to talk me (and yourself) into believing you were at risk.  You were not.  You are abnormally obsessed with this.  The only health problem evident in this thread is your OCD.  Deal with that, please. No more comments will be accepted on this thread.