HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HiV ARS Symptoms

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HiV ARS Symptoms

At 6 weeks ago I gave unprotected oral sex to a female sex worker, and I received unprotected oral sex one week later from a different female sex worker. I know it was stupid. This past week, at 6 week mark of giving and the 5 week mark of receiving, I got tested for HIV and other STDs. The HIV swab test came back negative (the other results have not came back yet), but I was told that since it hasn't been 3 months since my unprotected oral sex the oral-swab test is not accurate. I did not have vaginal sex with these people, only oral. At the time of my testing, I felt OK did not have any symptoms. Later that day after testing, my lymph nodes in my neck became swollen, I have muscle fatigue, slight pain in my abdomen, and I had one night of night sweats. I am super anxious and paranoid about these symptoms; they have stayed for 5 days now. I had a PCR test done on 3/1, but I am still waiting the results, so it might be too soon to even ask questions here.

My questions are:
1. At 5 and 6 weeks, what are the percentages of the negative antibody test being accurate?
2. Also at 5 and 6 weeks after exposure,  are the symptoms I am having possible after this time frame?
3. What are the chances of getting HIV from oral? I have heard the chances are much less.

I thank you in advance. I am just super paranoid and want some questions answered.

Welcome to the Forum.  If I were you I would not be at all worried about HIV from the two exposures you describe.  Most commercial sex workers do not have HIV and there are no cases of HIV which have been proven to be transmitted by receiving oral sex.  There are no good studies of HIV risk related to cunnilingus however I have never heard of a case of HIV being acquired by a man performing HIV on an infected female partner.  In my opinion, there is no good medical reason for you to be worried about HIV from the exposures you report or to seek HIV testing.

In answer to your questions:
It sounds as though you were tested with an oral fluid rapid test.  If so, these tests are not highly reliable until at least 8 weeks following an exposure.  Just how many recently acquired infections would be missed at 5-6 weeks is not clear.  If you had acquired HIV from these exposures however, your PCR test will be positive- I am confident it will not be positive however and that your symptoms are not due to HIV.

Your symptoms are similar to those which can occur at 4-8 weeks after acquiring HIV however these symptoms are non-specific and are statistically unlikely to be due to HIV.  When studied, less than 1% of these sorts of symptoms  turn out to be due to HIV.

See above- you should not be worried.

I hope these comments are helpful.  As I said, you really have no reason for concern.  EWH