HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Hiv Symptoms

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hiv Symptoms
Doctor,

My other question is that 3 weeks after the event I described a few minutes ago on my first post, my doctor diagnosed me a pharyngitis with fever, aches, one little node under the jaw one under ther arm. The CBC reported MNI test was negative and indicated Hyperleukocytis with a high count of neutrophils and a lymphopenia. Here it is winter time and the doctor told me it was a bacterial infection. Also, the symptoms disappeared after 3 days of antibiotics (Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid 10 days)

As an expert, does it really sounds like a bacterial infection and nothing related to hiv ?

That is my last question doctor.
This question was answered as part of my earlier response to you and could have been posted as a follow-up to your original post.  The symptoms you descirbe are non-specific and may have very well been due to a bacterial pharyngitis, viral illness and, rarely HIV.  Given the nature of your exposure however, it is most likely that this was something other than HIV.  I would not be concerned.  If you are worried/anxious about the possiblity of HIV, you could test now- a standard HIV test is typically positive with 4-5 days after the onset of symptoms (in your case, your sore throat).  In your case, should you choose to test, I am confident your tests will be negative.  EWH
Thank you Doctor
Glad to help.  EWH