HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Hiv Symptoms
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hiv Symptoms

Doctor,

My other question is that 3 weeks after the event I described a few minutes ago on my first post, my doctor diagnosed me a pharyngitis with fever, aches, one little node under the jaw one under ther arm. The CBC reported MNI test was negative and indicated Hyperleukocytis with a high count of neutrophils and a lymphopenia. Here it is winter time and the doctor told me it was a bacterial infection. Also, the symptoms disappeared after 3 days of antibiotics (Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid 10 days)

As an expert, does it really sounds like a bacterial infection and nothing related to hiv ?

That is my last question doctor.
300980_tn?1194933000
This question was answered as part of my earlier response to you and could have been posted as a follow-up to your original post.  The symptoms you descirbe are non-specific and may have very well been due to a bacterial pharyngitis, viral illness and, rarely HIV.  Given the nature of your exposure however, it is most likely that this was something other than HIV.  I would not be concerned.  If you are worried/anxious about the possiblity of HIV, you could test now- a standard HIV test is typically positive with 4-5 days after the onset of symptoms (in your case, your sore throat).  In your case, should you choose to test, I am confident your tests will be negative.  EWH
3 Comments
Blank
Thank you Doctor
Blank
300980_tn?1194933000
Glad to help.  EWH
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington