HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Hiv scare

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hiv scare

New to Med Help and forum. Had a one time encounter with a female sexworker. SW performed unprotected oral on me and I briefly kissed her crotch area with no direct genital contact except by hand. Incomplete vaginal penetration for under 15 seconds with condom.
Would testing be recommended ?

Thank you for your service to the public.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question and for your confidence in our service.

In the US and other industrialized countries, the large majority of female sex workers do not have HIV -- mostly under 1% and often under 1 chance in 1,000.  So the odds are strong your partner didn't have HIV.

In addition, oral sex rarely if ever transmits HIV, especially from an oral to genital partner.  On average, the chance of oral to penile transmission has been calculated at 1 in 20,000, and that's only if the partner has HIV.  That's equivalent to receiving BJs by infected partners once daily for 55 years before infection might be likely; and some experts believe such transmission never occurs at all.  No cases have been attributed to cunnilingus (oral-vaginal contact).  Finally, brief condom-protected vaginal penetration is also entirely safe.

So your chances of catching HIV from this event are microscopically small -- zero for all practical purposes.  I see no need for testing, and if you have a regular partner, you can safely continue unprotected sex without fear of transmitting anything from this event.

These are among the most common of all question on the forum.  You can find lots more detail by scanning any few days of questions, or using the search link.

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD