HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Hiv test wrong??

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hiv test wrong??

hi Doctor. I took a hiv test yesterday and i im currently on medication to treat a rash on my body. The name of this medication i am on is Minodene (50mg) and it contains a substance called Minocycline. It says it is used for sexually transmitted infections, prostate infections etc and in the instructions it says it may affect medical results. Is the test at 8 weeks reliable?? so in other words im on these tablets and do the tablets affect my result i got from a INSTI test? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

The HIV blood tests are among the most accurate diagnostic tests that exist for any health condition, and there are no commonly used medicines that have any effect on the test. The only drugs that might have an effect are things have have a major effect on the immune system, like cancer chemotherapy or powerful immune suppressing drugs -- and even these are theoretical, with few if any actual known cases of intereference with HIV test result.  Certainly a common antibiotic like minocycline has no effect at all.  Your HIV test is 100% reliable as long as enough time has passed since your last possible exposure -- and 8 weeks is plenty (even though official advice often recommends testing at 3 months).

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Great :) one final question. It says that minodene belongs to a class of drugs called tetracycline and the active substance is minocycline as minocycline hydrochloride dihydrate. Still no difference to the result?? Many thanks
Still no difference. Please re-read my reply above:  there are NO medinces that affect HIV test performance, with the theoretical possiblities I mentioned above.
Thank you doctor!! :)
also doctor the test i took was the INSTI test where the nurse put a needle in my arm and gave me my result in 60 seconds. still reliable at 8 weeks? sorry for asking another question! Many thanks doctor!!!
There are NO tests for HIV that are not 100% reliable at 8 weeks.

You may not keep returning with every additional anxiety-driven issue that comes to mind.  That's all for this thread.
thank you for all your help!!