HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Hiver Performed oral sex-symptoms two weeks after

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello,Dr.I am from Jamaica.On May 6,2010 a guy who is HIV  positive performed unprotected oral sex on me for 20 minutes.He sucked my penis.I didn't suck his.I know that the forum is full of responses about the low risk status of oral sex,but I would still like a personal response to my question.Anyway he told me a couple days after that he was positive,only after I questioned him about his status.However,he denied it at first but later confessed his status.Now,2.5 weeks after the encounter,I developed a runny nose,watery eyes,nasal congestion,fever 38 degrees and the following week a sore throat along with a post nasal drip which lasted approximately two weeks.

Three weeks after exposure,I did a lab Elisa as well as HIV Rapid which both came back negative.In addition ,I did some general labs four weeks after exposure which saw my nuetrophils being increased to 79%,esr 8,wbc 9.5 and lymphocytes reduced to 18%.Further,I had another HIV Rapid 5 weeks after exposure which came back negative.

I also had another HIV Rapid at 8.5 weeks after exposure which came back negative.I am just wondering,based on the info that I have provided, if I might have contracted HIV from this encounter and if I may need further testing.Also do my labs and symptoms suggest HIV infection? Also what if the guy had blood in his mouth?I should be happy for your expert feedback.Thank you.
Welcome to the HIV forum.  I'll dispense with some of the usual warnings about asking partners about HIV status before getting into it.  Seems like you tried, which I applaud.  Obviously some partners are ***holes, but still it's a good idea and usually is protective.

Your negative HIV test 8+ weeks after exposure proves you weren't infected.  The risk of oral to penile HIV transmission is exceedingly low, but even if the risk had been high, the test results always outweigh risk assessment, as long as testing is done sufficiently long after exposure.  With modern HIV tests, it is virtually impossible to have a negative result more than 6 weeks after catching HIV.

As for your symptoms, test results always outweigh symptoms as well.  Even if you had classical ARS symptoms, I would reassure you.  But your symptoms don't even hint at HIV, which does not cause nasal stuffiness, runny nose, postnasal drip, etc.  You caught a cold, that's all.

If you remain concerned, you could have yet another HIV test at 12 weeks after the event.  But if I were in your situation, I wouldn't do that.  If you do, you can expect yet anothe negative test result.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you,Dr Handsfield for your wonderful feedback.It is reassuring.If you don't mind,I forgot to observe that I at least two swollen lymph nodes in the upper right neck during my illness with sore throat etc.Is that significant?
Lymph node inflammation from HIV generally is body-wide, not localized to one or two spots like one side of the neck.  Undoubtely that was related to your upper respiratory infection.
Thank you.Now what do you think about my blood count reports,particularly my lymphocyte count?Also my lymph nodes are still somewhat swollen,they havent returned to normal.Is that cause for concern?I have lost 10 pounds since my exposure and have been anxious and cant sleep ever since.Tell me,how soon after having ARS for at leat two weeks willsomeone test positive?You said that my 8 week test proves I wasnt infected.Does this mean that medically,there is no reason for further testing as far as my exposure is concerned?Thank you for your response.
You are grasping at straws in an apparent attempt to prove to yourself that you were at risk and have HIV.  You were not and do not.  You came here for reassurance and I gave it.  Accept it and move on.  Re-read my original reply and concentrate on it, believe it, and ignore all other symptoms or other things that come into your mind.

That's all for this thread.  I will have no further comments or advice.
Hi Dr Hook.I just wanted to see what you thought about my case.Also could you tell me how long after someone experiences ARS he w ill test positive for HIV?Thanks.
Dr. Hook and I do not both reply to questions unless one of us asks the other to do so.  You can be sure he would agree with my replies. Also note that it's against our forum rules to start a new thread with the same questions; it would be deleted without response, and without refund of the posting fee.

Move on with your life.  This is not an anxiety reduction service for people who will not or cannot accept the reassurance they have received.
Hi Dr Handsfield.I just wanted you to know that I did a lab standard elisa at 10 weeks 5 days after my exposure which came back negative.I dont think I need to do another test.Thank you for your advice and encouragement.Keep up the good work.