HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
How worried should I be/ PCR DNA test at 8 days

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I am an idiot and had protected sex with a prostitute (escort at a parlor) in England 10 days ago. I wore a condom and it didn't come off at all, she was on top and was holding it down. It only lasted about 3 minutes. She did not pinch the air out of the top of the reservoir tip. I looked at the condom while it was still on me after she got up and there didn't seem to be any rips or tears at all but I didn't inspect it. She removed it- I have no reason to believe it had any issues but like I said I didn't inspect it. Afterwards she cleaned me up with some wipes and gave me a massage, I asked her if she had any Stds and she said no but she would say that anyway. I am super scared I may have acquired HIV, I can't think of anything else. I went to a shrink and he gave me some lorazepam which helps but I'm still freaking out.

Anyway, what is my risk? I just did a PCR DNA HIV test through labcorp at 8 days from exposure, waiting on results. Can I trust the result when i get them or will I need further testing? My wife and I are going to try to have a child soon and I want to make sure I'm not putting her or a baby in danger.

It was the dumbest thing I've ever done and I regretted it immediately. I told my wife and we are working through it. I just want to know if I'm at risk. I spoke with 2 std doctors in England and they both said zero risk but that still didn't calm my nerves, i'm hoping hearing it from an American doctor will :). Thank you and sorry for the long email I greatly value your opinion and advice.
Welcome to our Forum.  I will be glad to add my comments to those of the doctors you've already spoken with.  The exposure you describe was NO RISK for HIV or for other STDs.  Most commercial sex workers do not have HIV and most unprotected exposures to infected partners do not lead to transmission.  Your use of a condom transformed this low risk exposure into a no risk exposure.   As a result, there is no medical reason for even testing.  I am sure that your tests will be negative.

Please note that while PCR testing is not recommended for HIV diagnosis, the reason is because of false positive tests.  Your test, as I have already said will be negative. When it is, there is no reason for further testing.  

I hope my comments are helpful. EWH
Thanks for the answer. Aside from the risk of false positive is 8 days long enough to get an accurate result?
I was clicking the was the answer helpful on my ipad and it was small and I must have hit no when I meant to hit yes. It should have a confirmation pop-up. I would like a more clear answer as to whether a pcr dna test is accurate at 8 days, false positives notwithstanding.
There are no studies which provide information on exactly when all person with newly acquired HIV will have postive PCR tests but most experts believe results would be defintive by 2-3 weeks after an exposure.  I hope this is helpful.  EWH
Thank you so much for your expert opinion. I don't doubt that you are right that I have no risk of hiv but yet I still have trouble accepting it. I'm seriously scared and I'm having trouble functioning even with the Ativan. Is there any chance the encounter I described could result in HIV infection? Is there any reason I shouldn't have unprotected sex with my wife?

I won't ask any more questions. Thank you so much, this is a valuable service. Given how many terrified people there are on these boards it's a wonder we have sex at all. I've learned my lesson. Nothing is worth this stress!
Please see my answer above.  There is a chance but the chance is far smaller than the chance that you will be hit by lightening.   Please don't be worried.  EWH
That is alarming as I was struck by lightning at age 13. I think your response was tongue in cheek but in my fragile state I'm more freaked out than before.
I got my 8 day Qualitative DNA PCR test results back and they were negative!!! So relieved. I'm inclined to get the PCR again next week to be 100% certain, what are your thoughts?
As I said, earlier, your exposure carried not risk for HIV.  Your negative PCR just serves to re-inforce what I have just said.  there was no need for PCR testing to begin with and that is still the case.  EWH
Retested at 22 days. Negative DNA PCR, negative antibody. I'm done worrying.