HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Itching

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Itching

Dear Doctor,

i had posted a previous query on oral sex exposure where i performed cunnilingus on a girl who admited that she had uprotected sex with two of her previous boyfriends.
i understand that chances of me catching HIV from that are minimal, however after 2 weeks after the incident (which took place on Oct 22), i have been itching everywhere in my body (this has been happening for 2 days so far). so far i havent got any rash but i read somewhere that Acute HIV Infection can also cause itching.
i am really worried. i would really appreciate your advice.
You misinterpreted something you read.  Acute HIV does not cause "itching everywhere in my body", certainly not as the only symptom.  Althoug itching can accompany certain manifestations of advanced AIDS, here too it is never the only symptom.  There are many potential causes of itching.  Most likely this has nothing to do with your non-risky sexual exposure in October, unless it is due to anxiety over the event.

See a health care provider in person if you remain concerned.  Perhaps s/he will suggest you have an HIV test for reassurance, if that's what it takes to convince you that you don't have HIV.  Also please follow my advice from the previous thread, to address the potential mental health issue reflected in your overblown fears of HIV.

No follow-up comments, please; there is nothing you can add that could change my opinion or advice.  Also please note MedHelp's rule that permits a maximum of 2 questions every 6 months in the professionally moderated forums, in order to allow space for persons with their own questions.  This will have to be your last question before next May.

HHH, MD
i thank you doctor for your patience. i know you said no comments but my itchiness is not the only thing. the last few hours i started having a mild sore throat again. obviously i am worired s now i am in the 2 weeks window period. should i worry?

you are right about my obsession and i am planning to go see a doctor but i just need to clear my fear regarding this particular episode.
i am sorry again for all the trouble and thank you again for yur patience.
No you should not worry.  Not HIV.  End of thread.  Do not post any more comments.