HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Life Insurance HIV Test

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Life Insurance HIV Test

In November 2012 I had a one night stand with a 28 year old Japanese women while I was on Vacation. I do not know her status. The condom broke during sex and unprotected vaginal sex happened for about 5 minutes.

I was scared so I waited for testing. I tested at exactly the 7 week point during a medical exam for a life insurance policy from American General. I don't know which test were done. The paper they gave said the would either test my blood or body fluids. I gave urine and blood samples.

I am a 28 year old uncircumcised Latin male. The is the only one night stand I have ever had, all my other sexual partners were long term monogamous partners.

My questions:

1. If my blood was tested for antibodies was 7 weeks enough?

2. If my urine was tested for antibodies was 7 weeks enough?

3. Do you recommend further testing?

I have searched the forums for months but was unable to find any usable info in regards to the Calpyte HIV Urine test. I believe this is the test that would have been used since it is FDA approved.
I'll ask the moderators to move this question to the HIV Prevention Forum and will answer it there.  EWH
Sorry I just realised I posted in the wrong forum. I'm a nervous wreck.
Now,,,, welcome to the Forum. The exposure you describe was low risk. The likelihood that your partner had HIV is very low (far less than 1%) and even if she was, the risk for acquiring HIV from a single unprotected exposure is less than 1 infection per 1000 exposures.  Thus, on a statistical basis, even before testing)  you have very, very little to worry about.  

The HIV test which was performed was almost certainly a blood test and if it is a currently FDA approved test, at 7 weeks it would detect well over 95% of recent infections. Thus when it is negative (I am confident this will be the result), believe it.  i see no reason for further testing for HIV.  On the other hand, the likelihood that your partner had chlamydia and transmitted it to you was far higher.  I doubt that your insurance physical did this as part of your testing so I would suggest this, but not further HIV testing.

I hope this comment is helpful for you.  Please do not worry. EWH
I am in a committed monogamous relationship. Would this change your recommendation of no further testing?
One last thing I tested negative in January 7 weeks after the exposure in November. I was worried abbot the reliability of this test. Out of curiosity how accurate are the Urine test in the 6-8 week window?
My recommendations and advice have nothing to do with what sort of relationship you are in!

You need to re-read my answer.  Your urine was not tested for HIV.  Your blood was.  I told you the reliability above.  EWH
Thank you for your time. I feel much better I was only asking about the urine test out of curiosity. You and Dr. HHH provide a great service.
Glad to help.  EWH
Sorry to bring up a dead thread. I requested a copy of my lab reports but it did not include results for recreational drugs or HIV.

I was really looking to verify that Urine was not used.

The lab that did the test was Clinical Reference Lab in Kansas. Their website states that samples are tested for HIV-1 and HIV-2 for insurance services but the FDA does not currently list an approved HIV-1 and HIV-2 Urine test. CRL seems pretty big and I would think they have a lot to lose by not using FDA approved tests.

Is there any advantage to an Insurer, as far as cost of testing, to use a Urine HIV test instead of a Blood based test?

Again, I'm sorry for bringing this up. I know my risk is very low (Even if my Urine was tested) but my curiosity is getting to me.
No reputable lab in the US would use urine for HIV testing, nor would any insurance company.  You are worrying needlessly.  EWH
Just called my insurance carrier and they confirmed that both my urine and blood were tested. I'm in the clear!!!!

Seems a little redundant to test both but I guess its worth it to them given the size of the policy.

Thank you again.
Once again, sorry for bringing up a dead thread but....

I couldn't shake the anxiety so I took an at home Oraquick. I had only one faint line next to the "C" and no line next to the "T". I called oraquick and they said as long as you have line next to the "C" it doesn't matter how bright or faint it is. That makes me negative without a doubt.

It has been seven months since my questionable exposure.

I post this not to get a response from Dr. Hook but to bring what has been a rough seven months to an end.

Although the Doctors on this forum provide invaluable information and reassurance, a paranoid overthinker like me will only be satisfied SEEING a negative result.

To those in a similar situation, I will pray for you. Take the good Doctor's advice and remain calm.

Thank you again to Dr. HHH and Dr. Hook. You gentlemen are amazing.