HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Major intrigue, please help

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Major intrigue, please help

Hi Dr I hv Ulcerative Colitis & on Pentasa 500mgx4pills/day for 2yrs
Oct11-11- in Germany different CSWs: had 4 protected vaginal, 4 unprotected BJs & 1 deep french kiss. After 5.2 weeks I had Hi fever for 3 days, 1 cold sore, followed by 10-day fatigue, then after 5 days chest congestion followed by 2-day severe laryngitis
On Dec1- in Ger diff CSWs: I was bit feverish while having laryngitis I had another set of 4 protected vag, 3 protected BJs, & 1 unprotected BJ (the last one). No condom break. After 15 days & over 6 weeks: Acne on back, tiny white pimplex4 below penis head, itchy insect-like pimples on arms legs & abdomen, lower back pain, lo fever (1week), Athlete's foot, yeast infection on penis head (3 days), penile tip burn (every now&then) 2 blister on groins (4 days), left side neck lymphnode mild (2 days), night sweat (3 weeks), coughing (3 weeks), loss of appetite, loss of approx 2KG, abdominal pain, diarrhea 1/day for 3 weeks, mouth thrush, 6 sml wht dots under tongue. Symptoms receded by end of week6. Wk8 had another rash on back similar to acne & still there. Wk 11 I had 3-day gingivitis & 4 look-like maculopapular pimples 2 on the shoulders & 2 on the back (opposite sides-no other symptoms) Wk14-for 5 days: Nasal congestion, lo fever, wet cough, & another gingivits, minor diarrhea. Still hv the same weight 77KG but my legs,buttock,& hands r a bit thinner than before & fat on chest & next to belly shrank as well
DUO test 84days after 1st episode & 34 after 2nd episode: Nega. Wbc was then 6.42 (from a 2-year range of 8+)
@125 days after 1st epi & 76 days after 2nd: PCR RNA (20-10.000000copies/ml–1.3-7,0log)Nega. WBC ***@**** & Lymphocyte was 22 (lo normal 20) & used to be 24 over last 2 yrs, RBC 6.2. Also took all STDs which turned normal but HSV1+2 IgG (2gether): 4.2. Urine almost normal but RBC was 8-10 & WBC 2-4 (never had RBC/WBC b4).

What r the odds that DUO @34 days & PCR RNA @76 days r false nega? Should I run another test?
Thanks a lot
Welcome to our Forum.  In preparing to address your question I reviewed your posts on the HSV site, as well as the HIV Community site.  It's clear that you are a bit nervous about the exposures you report and their relationship to your symptoms.  

The answer to the specific question you asked is quite straightforward.  You did not get HIV from the encounters you describe.  They were not particualrly risky encounters as most commercial sex workers do not  have HIV and because HIV is  not transmitted through condom protected sex or receipt of oral sex.  Further and even more importantly, you have now been tested twice with two different, highly reliable tests for HIV which can be trusted.  You should believe your test result and not worry about HIV from the exposures you mention.  

I hope my commentsa are helpful to you.  Take care.  EWH
Dear Dr. Hook,
Thank you for your input which has put me at ease. Just to eradicate any doubt, I still have 3 last questions:
1 - The AB/AG test: since I did it secretly, I visited the house of the main virologist in town who took a blood sample and put it in a tube then closed. It took place around 9 in the evening and the next day she went to work around 9 AM. It was on Jan. 5th. Would such an elapsed period affect the presence of the AB/AG since I read that the virus can easily get affected by temperature and in this case I don't believe she had a special room to maintain a certain temperature.
2 - My main worry is that my Doctor who ran the test of PCR RNA HIV1 still wants me to re-test at 6months contending that it is only a confirmation test for legal registration.

3 - Should I be worried about HIV2 or so since I don't know the exact status of AB/AG whether it included HIV2 and the PCR RNA was only for HIV1 (the CSWs in Germany were from Columbiax2, Polandx5, and 1 from Far East).

Thanks a lot Dr. for your help.
1.  The DUO test does not need to be run immediately.  You need to trust that the virologist handled the specimen correctly.

2.  Further testing is silly.  Your doctor is being overly conservative.

3.  No, the tests you have ha woul have picked up HIV 2 as well.

Summary, Your fears of HIV were not warranted to begin with (I tried to indicate this gently, perhaps too gently) and you have now had multiple definitve negative tests.  Now you are worried about the quality of the tests performed by trained professionals.  You need to get control of your guilt and anxieties.  If you cannot do this yourself, I suggest that you work with a trained counselor or mental health professional.  I say this out of concern that the time an energy you are wasting on this could have other, negative effects on you and other aspects of your life.  

That will be all for this thread.  EWH
Dear Dr. Hook,
I would like to extend my appreciation for your genuine and constructive input. Indeed, anxiety had a negative effect on me and my family and will try to overcome it. God bless you.
Glad to help. Take care. EWH