HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Methylprednisone/HIV Testing
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Methylprednisone/HIV Testing

I had a possible HIV exposure - I was stuck by a needle and it drew blood.  I have reason to think the person that used the needle was HIV positive.  I started taking methylprednisolone 3 days prior to the incident due to a shingles outbreak and took it for 6 days - I took 6,5,4,3,2,1 per day of 4 mg strength.  I took an HIV 3rd generation antibody test at 4 months after the exposure.  Going through the internet, including Dr. Hook, I've read that prednisone may delay the HIV antibody from showing up on the test.  Did I wait long enough - 4 months - to get a conclusive result of negative.  Should I test again at 6 months?  Thank you Dr Hansfield and Dr Hook for your support.
300980 tn?1194933000
Welcome to the Forum. You are correct, steroid medications can delay the development of antibodies however the delaying effect resolves once a person stops taking the prednisone.  If you had HIV your brief, six day course might have slightly delayed development of antibodies but not much. Your 4 month test result is completely reliable and should be believed.  There is no reason to worry further about this exposure and no reason for further testing.  EWH
3 Comments
Blank
I was reminded last night that while I was in Italy last fall I cut my finger and went to a pharmacy and they gave me an antibiotic cream and either an antibiotic pill or steroid pill to take.  My test for the HIV antibody was 20 days after this.  Can I still count on the reliability of the HIV Test I took?  Thank You.
Blank
300980 tn?1194933000
Yes, you can still count on the reliability of the tests you took.  EWH
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123 tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
Blank
Weight Tracker