HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Mycoplasma infection?
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mycoplasma infection?

Hi Doctor,

I am coming to grips with the fact the since all of my HIV tests have turned out negative up to now I probably dont have HIV (Thank God). Im taking another test around 12 weeks to put that fear completely behind me.  In the meantime my woman and I continue to have lingering health issues.  We have lingering Naseu, sore lymph nodes in neck/armpits/ groin, sleep issues, and I have developed a parkinson like tremor in my hands, the night sweats continue. I have read on numerous online sites the symptoms of systemic mycoplasma infection.   A lot of them mimic symtpoms associated with HIV it seems.  I have also read that mycoplasma can be transmited sexually.  It appears to be a rather new discovery and is associated with walking pneumonia/CFS/ and gulf war syndrome.  
1) Can a mycoplasma infections be transmitted sexually?
2) Are there diagnostic tests for Mycoplasma infections? Are they reilable?
3) I have read sites that claim most mycoplasma infection can be treated with long term antibiotic doses. Is that true?
If not is there any other treatment or do you have to live with it forever?
4) Can a mycoplasma infection create these symptoms (Fever/headache/nasuea/vomiting/swollen or sore lymphs/nightsweats/sleep issues/genital irritation/ depresion/rash)  If so in the same time frame as HIV? 2-3 weeks after infectoin?
5) We are planning on having children next year, Is it true this can cause minor-serious complications for child birth?
6) Any possibility this may still be HIV? I had a 9 week negative antibody/DNA PCR.