HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Need a little reassurance

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need a little reassurance

Had an encounter with lady of unknown status...it has been exactly 4 weeks since then. I don't have much of symptoms except a sore throat mild to moderate. Base on your other threads pbly not related.  I just tested with oraquick home test kit. It was negative. What percent of people test with in this period. Is it ok if I repeat the test in another 2 weeks. Thanks for your input
Welcome to the forum.

Of all the HIV tests available, the oral fluids rapid tests -- whether the home self test or in a clinic -- is the least reliable in detecting early HIV infection.  It takes a few weeks longer than other tests to become positive.  The oral fluids tests are not designed or intended to detect early HIV infection; they should not be used except to detect longstanding HIV infection.  At 4 weeks, your negative result is probably a little more than 50% accurate.  If you use the same test, you'll need to wait until at least 8-10 weeks for reliable results.  If you have a lab-based blood test, you can have virtually 100% reliable results by 6 weeks; or if you find a clinic that offers the duo test (for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen), then 4 weeks is sufficient for definitive results.

You're probably at very low risk for HIV, given the low frequency of HIV in most sexually active women in the US, plus the low rate of transmission by vaginal sex.  But for definite reassurance, you'll require another test as suggested above.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Excuse me doctor, but what do you mean long standing infections? Sorry , I know is it not my post , but got tested with an oral swap and now im scared
One final clarification I think. I got results of early HIV detection through lab crop. The test is lab corp HIV -1 RNA qualitative result Negative. What is the difference between qual and quant. Based on latest result do you see a need for me to do any additional tests. I am getting together with my ex tommorrow. Dont know where things might lead. Do you see a need for me to avoid her
So you had both a home self test (oral swab) and the RNA test by LabCorp?  That combination is probably 98% assurance you weren't infected.  There is no difference between qualitative and quantitative testing:  even when quantitative testing is ordered, the qualitative version is done, moving to quant only if qual is positive.

german23:  I would recommend the oral fluids test, either at home or in a clinic, only for people whose last potential exposure was at least 3 months earlier.
Yes I did do the lab crop test as well and this is at 26 days. I actually wanted to wait but this meeting came up suddenly and I wanted to be sure before i proceed. Do I need to test any further
Given the low risk nature of the exposure (a single episode of vaginal sex, with a partner who is unlikely to have HIV), plus the current test results, it is certain you are not infected.  However, if you want a 100% definitive lab test, you'll need another antibody test sometime in the next few weeks.

That will wind up this thread.  Good luck.