HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Need an answer - please.

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need an answer - please.

Dear doc,

Elisa at 14 weeks - negative. I wanted to do a follow-up test at 6 months. Doctor wrote 1&2 screens unlike the first time when he selected an option in the test request form that said something with reflex. I got WB test results and was negative for both 1 & 2. I was not aware that the test done was a WB until now, which is 6 months after the last test. I called the doc to ask him if a preliminary Elisa was done. He is unsure. I called the lab. They did not know and do not carry recors for more than 90 days. I am stressed Doc. Do you, in your expert opinion, think an Elisa was done. Aren't the lab supposed to send the Doc Elisa results if it was performed. Does it mean I was positive for Elisa. I had a low-risk one-time incident.
Do you think I have to test one more time. your answer will be invaluable to me. Please help!.
Your doctor and lab are right; you do not need further testing.  You have been overtested already and the negative ELISA result at 14 weeks proves without doubt that you do not have HIV.  Nobody recommends testing as late as 6 months after exposure, and most experts agree that even 3 months isn't necessary; a test at 6-8 weeks is sufficient.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Hi Doc,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I feel really better now. I was stressed a lot because I was hoping that the test done at 6 months would have been an Elisa and not a WB. When I learnt that a WB had been done, I was left wondering why a WB was done and what the ELISA result was. I still don't know if an Elisa was done before my WB because the lab did not send any Elisa test result to my doctor.

Would the lab not report the Elisa if it was infact done?.

I don't want to bother you too much Doc, but can you please consider this my last follow-up question and answer it please.

Appreciate your service!.
Oh man.  Why are you beating yourself?  All I need to hear is that Im negative and I'm good to go.  I dont even ask about what type was done.  There are no false negatives with any test and only rare false positives.  Do yourself a favor and move on.  Congrads on your NEGATIVE test.
I am skeptical the lab actually did Western blot without first doing an ELISA; and if they did the ELISA, the result would have been reported as well.  I believe you were misinformed or misunderstood.  In any case, it doesn't matter since the results are negative.  Put it to rest and go on with your life.

HHH, MD
Thanks doc!. Your response means a lot to me!. Thanks again!.
It is a bit unclear when you finally had your last test at 14 weeks or 6 months. but in any case it does not matter since 14 weeks is as good as 6 months apparently (testing post 3 months does not add any more certainty). I also have a neg @14 weeks but an irrational thought sometimes comes that may be I should test now after 7 months. So far I have been succesful in resisting it!